• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The Cheapest Energy So Far

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@johnb80 Thanks for that, doing my due diligence on them, so far, I have found their estimate of my usage is way out, nearly 390kwh and
Tomato still have an OPEN ofgem investigation into them, just as they did when they were called Logicor Energy. They were continually are late paying their renewable certificate bills under Logicor brand!

This is my first look this morning, so need to do more yet.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publicatio...tions-under-slcs-4a-and-5-electricity-licence
And it also says on the Ofgem page:
"The opening of this investigation does not imply that we have made any findings of non-compliance by Tomato Energy Limited."
Looking at it further, I dont see how "Standard Licence Condition’s (SLCs) 4A and 5" will affect me in any way.

Last edited:
Seems there are a few Tomato user groups about and it looks like its mainly risk takers who are moving their energy accounts there, knowing that they should get bailed out if it all goes pear shaped. You cant blame people, that 5p/kwh for 6hrs is a deal maker if its sustainable.
I am tempted, I can charge my 20kw of batteries over that period, then drip feed my usage for the rest of the 18hrs of the day. If the sun shines, even better, my solar will boost the batteries.
I saw today someone's quote which was even less than JohnB's 4.73p inc vat!

Seems there are a few Tomato user groups about and it looks like its mainly risk takers who are moving their energy accounts there,
Well I have moved my supply to Tomato but I'm not a risk taker just shrewd in purchasing. I really dont see the risk? I get a bill once per month and pay my bill in arrears, what risk am I taking?

knowing that they should get bailed out if it all goes pear shaped. You cant blame people, that 5p/kwh for 6hrs is a deal maker if its sustainable.
I really dont see the problem (worrying I suppose if its obviously a risk?)

I am tempted, I can charge my 20kw of batteries over that period, then drip feed my usage for the rest of the 18hrs of the day. If the sun shines, even better, my solar will boost the batteries.
Thats what I do

I saw today someone's quote which was even less than JohnB's 4.73p inc vat!
I saw that too.

And it also says on the Ofgem page:
"The opening of this investigation does not imply that we have made any findings of non-compliance by Tomato Energy Limited."
Looking at it further, I dont see how "Standard Licence Condition’s (SLCs) 4A and 5" will affect me in any way.
Yes that's true, but it is still important to a due diligence check that you find as many facts as you can.
It does however indicate that there is something that OFGEM were concerned enough about to open an investigation.
Any investigation by any regulatory body will always have a statement that indicates that their work is ongoing and is not an indication of fault. Its the same premise as the law of innocent until proved guilty.

That was why I was careful to say it was OPEN.
I mentioned it as part of my checks so far for the benefit of others if they so wish to check it, as its very rarely possible to list all the details from a site, but I hope people can follow it up for further information from the source, not soley rely on my interpretation of the data found.
The fact you went and checked for yourself is good, I hope others have the insight you had to check facts too.

Last edited:
Yes that's true, but it is still important to a due diligence check that you find as many facts as you can.
Why?

Maybe a selfish approach by me, I looked at their prices in the market, I liked what was on offer and signed up.

My payments are in arrears so no financial risk to me. Job done.

It does however indicate that there is something that OFGEM were concerned enough about to open an investigation.
Any investigation by any regulatory body will always have a statement that indicates that their work is ongoing and is not an indication of fault. Its the same premise as the law of innocent until proved guilty.
Well that is rarely the case, rape, accusations against teachers, the post office scandal, theyre all guilty until proven innocent.

That was why I was careful to say it was OPEN.
I mentioned it as part of my checks so far for the benefit of others if they so wish to check it, as its very rarely possible to list all the details from a site, but I hope people can follow it up for further information from the source, not soley rely on my interpretation of the data found.
To be absolutely honest, I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the OFGEM investigation, the accusations or the outcome. If I get my electricity at 5p KWh thats my aim achieved.

The fact you went and checked for yourself is good, I hope others have the insight you had to check facts too.
Nope, I only had a cursory glance at the regulations concerned following your post. I dont see how those regs are likely to affect me or any other customer of Tomato.

Tomato charging plans.
Awaiting a response from them over integration for charging schedules.
While I'm waiting can any confirm if they are able to integrate with your EV or Charger to auto schedule charging?
With Octopus it's just plug in an forget. They will set a charge plan to meet my ready by time and fill percentage and its based on grid loading that day. So as well as their reduced night rate times, they sometimes charge at peak rate times but only charge at night rate, 7p.

Are Tomato able to do the same?
Thanks

Tomato charging plans.
Awaiting a response from them over integration for charging schedules.

While I'm waiting can any confirm if they are able to integrate with your EV or Charger to auto schedule charging?
Tomato do NOT integrate with your EV or EVSE. You simply set timers on either your charger or your car to charge from 00:00 to 06:00. Job done.

With Octopus it's just plug in an forget. They will set a charge plan to meet my ready by time and fill percentage and its based on grid loading that day. So as well as their reduced night rate times, they sometimes charge at peak rate times but only charge at night rate, 7p.
This is a real pain for anyone who charges house batteries too. Octopus do occasionally give some off peak slots during peak times. Tomato give you 4 hours every day during the peak time at half price whether youre charging your EV or not. A real winner.

Are Tomato able to do the same?
Thanks
Tomato do it better.

Tomato do NOT integrate with your EV or EVSE. You simply set timers on either your charger or your car to charge from 00:00 to 06:00. Job done.
Thanks for that. Bit of a shame though, as I don't do it just for convenience, it also helps for grid balancing.

Thanks for that. Bit of a shame though, as I don't do it just for convenience, it also helps for grid balancing.
In my experience, Octopus although they claim it's grid balancing in practice it really isnt. Some of my extra slots were given during periods of high demand on the grid. I just feel it's marketing guff.

Tomato give you 4 hours every day during the peak time at half price ...

I wonder how that works with grid balancing?
They use 2 x 2 hour periods where the grid demand isn't as high as the max daily demand. They use 09:30 to 11:30 and 22:00 to midnight to discount the peal price to 13.37p. I would guess that people that don't have solar / battery it will be quite attractive for washing machine, tumble dryer, dish washer etc. also good to give electric heating a boost.

They use 09:30 to 11:30 and 22:00 to midnight? I wouldn't call that peak time.

My Octopus contract ends in Oct. so I'm looking around. The forthcoming Octopus rates are 65.87p standing charge, a night rate of 12.26p, a day rate rate of 29.27p. Last month 213 units night, 288 units day. The biggest single usage is hot water - we have no gas. £240 p. a. standing charge is scandalous.

They use 09:30 to 11:30 and 22:00 to midnight? I wouldn't call that peak time.
Maybe you wouldn't but most other energy companies do. It's certainly some of the lower demand times during the peak time sector.
My Octopus contract ends in Oct. so I'm looking around. The forthcoming Octopus rates are 65.87p standing charge, a night rate of 12.26p, a day rate rate of 29.27p. Last month 213 units night, 288 units day. The biggest single usage is hot water - we have no gas. £240 p. a. standing charge is scandalous.
Well, you know where to look o_O

There must be loads of people getting home from work and cooking their evening meals and putting their heating on at 11pm, then. Weird.
Where on earth do you get that idea from?

The discounted rate is for the 2 x 2 hour periods. 09:30 to 11:30 and 22:00 to midnight. I would suggest that the later one may be useful to people who have electric heating and want to boost the temperature a little before bed, electric shower before bed and maybe do a wash load done to be tumble dried during the midnight to 06:00 off peak period, heat water for a bath.

Why is that 'weird' as you kindly put it?

Last edited:
Where on earth do you get that idea from?

The discounted rate is for the 2 x 2 hour periods. 09:30 to 11:30 and 22:00 to midnight. I would suggest that the later one may be useful to people who have electric heating and want to boost the temperature a little before bed, electric shower before bed and maybe do a wash load done to be tumble dried during the midnight to 06:00 off peak period, heat water for a bath.

Why is that 'weird' as you kindly put it?
I think Phil misunderstood one of your posts(that also had a typo), and you're now both arguing about nothing.

I think Phil misunderstood one of your posts(that also had a typo), and you're now both arguing about nothing.
What typo did I make?

I’m not arguing, merely explaining my viewpoint, I didn’t think the weird tag was called for.

You have to remember, I’m a Yorkshireman and:-
“Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman but tha can’t tellim much” 😂😂😂😂

Latest posts

Back