Tapping (die-ing) helper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This useful 3D-printed thing keeps the die-holder level.
The rod you're threading goes through the central hole, and the die is held at 90° to it.
It could probably be fancied-up to accept a range of rod sizes, but I've just printed what I needed - a 4mm one and a 5mm one.

Die helper.jpg

A couple of observations:

1. It relies for its accuracy on the outside of the die holder being concentric with the inside of the die holder. On a cheap die-cast item, that might not be true.

2. It relies on the die being held concentric to the inside of the holder. That is somewhat more difficult to achieve than the point above unless you use an unsplit die whose OD exactly matches the ID of the holder. The single clamping screw provided on the holder would push downwards any die that does not match the holder and hence off centre.

Providing (1) is true, you could centralise the die in the holder by threading it onto something that already has threads cut onto it and then tune the adjustment screws so the die remains central in the holder when the threaded item is removed.

If it works, then it works, but I reckon it'd be better with the die holder clamping into the guide, otherwise it might twist.

Ok, I didn't think of all that. But it works brilliantly with my Powerfix (Lidl's) die holder (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it)! A good, professional-looking thread, far better than I've previously done by hand. And getting it started is a dream in comparison!

Ok, I didn't think of all that. But it works brilliantly with my Powerfix (Lidl's) die holder (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it)! A good, professional-looking thread, far better than I've previously done by hand. And getting it started is a dream in comparison!
Me thinking aloud more than a criticism. I'm a big fan of 3D printing tools like this. As long as they work it's a win. 👍

Latest posts

Back