Tannin marks after Oak glue up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Established Member
Reaction score
Never had this problem before, but working in some American oak this week on a small table and after wiping away the glue with a damp brush like I usually do I've ended up with what I think are tannin stains. Drat and double drat!!!

For now that means lots of fiddling sanding to do...I'm assume the marks will come off with a sand? But how to avoid this? Just be more careful with glue? I've always wiped my joints with a damp cloth/tooth brush for squeeze out.

Thoughts and techniques? I'm surprised in hindsight I've never experienced this before - is american oak particularly heavy in Tannin?

Attachments

• IMG_9054.jpg
    IMG_9054.jpg
    1,022.7 KB
Your approach is fine, damp cloth and toothbrush are a sensible approach. Somehow there seems to have been a very fine deposit of something metallic that has caused this to happen. Any metal drilling / grinding nearby recently, could be just a few specs of dust

Interesting - I actually was grinding down some old chisels today and cooling them in the water bucket which I then used to clean the joints with. Really remarkable that this made that much difference.

Annoying but good bit of learning...and hopefully I can get it off without too much drama. Big thanks Peter and Ian.

I was taught not to use water as it will creep into the joint though capillary action, so all I’ve ever done is scrape with something suitable and then a dry wipe. Have you been doing anything with wire wool? The bits from that are plentiful. Should sand off fairly easy.

Back