Tablet/phone charging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. Further to what I read about devices 'reading' the power source and adjusting the accepted amperage accordingly, I probably didn't get it quite right.
This from some tech site online so could be a load of internet pineapples.
USB plugs have four terminals. The two either side are d+ and d- for charging and the two centre terminals are for data transfer. If devices detect live data terminals then charging is restricted to 500ma. For this reason, since 240v adapters are charge only the two centre terminals in it are bridged so not detected by the device and it accepts all the amps the adapter puts out. This is supposedly not the case with the small 12v adapters and the solution is to take it apart and put a dollop of solder across the two centre pin terminals. If this is the reason for slow charging then my solution would be buy a charge-only cable, if such a thing exists or to pull the two centre pins out of the USB cable plug. Cheaper to risk wreaking a USB cable than my expensive hard wired USB outlets.
There certainly are charge only cables alternately listed as either data blocking or fast charge, odd because the problem used to be that cheap cables wouldn't do data transfer. What are the data ports in your camper used for? Are they to harness mobile internet or for some super camping computer ?

True. Further to what I read about devices 'reading' the power source and adjusting the accepted amperage accordingly, I probably didn't get it quite right.
This from some tech site online so could be a load of internet pineapples.
USB plugs have four terminals. The two either side are d+ and d- for charging and the two centre terminals are for data transfer. If devices detect live data terminals then charging is restricted to 500ma. For this reason, since 240v adapters are charge only the two centre terminals in it are bridged so not detected by the device and it accepts all the amps the adapter puts out. This is supposedly not the case with the small 12v adapters and the solution is to take it apart and put a dollop of solder across the two centre pin terminals. If this is the reason for slow charging then my solution would be buy a charge-only cable, if such a thing exists or to pull the two centre pins out of the USB cable plug. Cheaper to risk wreaking a USB cable than my expensive hard wired USB outlets.
I wouldn't take any notice of that site, if I were you, it appears to be a bit confused.. The Wikipedia link I gave you is accurate.

You could certainly try hacking a cable, and linking the data lines, but I have no idea what make or model your tablet is, and therefore what standard or proprietary fast charging scheme the mains "charger" might use.

I wouldn't take any notice of that site, if I were you, it appears to be a bit confused.. The Wikipedia link I gave you is accurate.

You could certainly try hacking a cable, and linking the data lines, but I have no idea what make or model your tablet is, and therefore what standard or proprietary fast charging scheme the mains "charger" might use.
My tablet is an ancient Samsung Tab A. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, also ancient but I like them.
This is the USB outlet hardwired into the truck's 12v system.
81154BL.tag.0.jpg
Visited a big city today and went to a computer repair and sales place where the tech told me the data component of the USB plug and cable had no effect on charging speed and all the internet stuff I'd read was a load of rubbish. Then he gave me an explanation of what the problem really was, none of which I understood which made him a bit tetchy. Why do people expect us to know all about computers just because we use them? I don't expect people to be familiar with my stuff, ie the Warsaw Convention or the Hague Visby rules governing the carriage of goods at sea or how to calculate metacentric height or sheer force and bending moments or free surface effects just because they've been on a cruise. Sorry, rant. That techie peed me off a bit and I still have my problem with slow charging.

Visited a big city today and went to a computer repair and sales place where the tech told me the data component of the USB plug and cable had no effect on charging speed and all the internet stuff I'd read was a load of rubbish.
Well he was talking rubbish. I have designed and programmed stuff that has been powered or charged via USB.

Where is the info on data and charge ports according to Bunnings that’s a $24 aus (£12) double charge connector can’t imagine it will do anything special?

My tablet is an ancient Samsung Tab A. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, also ancient but I like them.
This is the USB outlet hardwired into the truck's 12v system.
View attachment 185922
Visited a big city today and went to a computer repair and sales place where the tech told me the data component of the USB plug and cable had no effect on charging speed and all the internet stuff I'd read was a load of rubbish. Then he gave me an explanation of what the problem really was, none of which I understood which made him a bit tetchy. Why do people expect us to know all about computers just because we use them? I don't expect people to be familiar with my stuff, ie the Warsaw Convention or the Hague Visby rules governing the carriage of goods at sea or how to calculate metacentric height or sheer force and bending moments or free surface effects just because they've been on a cruise. Sorry, rant. That techie peed me off a bit and I still have my problem with slow charging.
Start explaining free surface effect and watch them head to the liferafts!
Funny thing is it wasn't fully appreciated until late esp in roro ferries when the herald of free enterprise went over in the English Channel.

Start explaining free surface effect and watch them head to the liferafts!
Or tell them they can experience it for themselves by carrying a wide shallow tea tray half full of water across the room - they'll soon see why seafarers don't like it

I think because I know next to nothing about electronics I have given the wrong impression about the USB outlets in my truck. They are nothing other than simple wired in adapters. 12vdc goes in one end and 5vdc comes out the other, maximum 2.5 amps. Other than having the data pins there is no data connectivity in the adapter. When I connect my tablet it flashes 'Slow charging. Check your power source and cable.'
The 240vac adapter I use at home puts out 5vdc but is only rated at 2 amps but it charges normally. I use the same charging cable in both scenarios.

I think because I know next to nothing about electronics I have given the wrong impression about the USB outlets in my truck. They are nothing other than simple wired in adapters. 12vdc goes in one end and 5vdc comes out the other, maximum 2.5 amps. Other than having the data pins there is no data connectivity in the adapter. When I connect my tablet it flashes 'Slow charging. Check your power source and cable.'
The 240vac adapter I use at home puts out 5vdc but is only rated at 2 amps but it charges normally. I use the same charging cable in both scenarios.
If you can access the data pins, just short them together. That may be all it takes.
If you don't have easy access, find another charging cable, break into the cable and short the data wires together.

Best case scenario, it'll then charge at 1.5 amps, so your 3300mah battery would take 3 or 4 hours to charge.
Without the data pins linked, the phone will only draw 100ma , so charging will take an eternity.

With the best will in the world, I can't help anymore on this, as I just seem to keep saying the same thing over and over.
Good luck!

Last edited:
If you can access the data pins, just short them together. That may be all it takes.
If you don't have easy access, find another charging cable, break into the cable and short the data wires together.

Best case scenario, it'll then charge at 1.5 amps, so your 3300mah battery would take 3 or 4 hours to charge.
Without the data pins linked, the phone will only draw 100ma , so charging will take an eternity.

With the best will in the world, I can't help anymore on this, as I just seem to keep saying the same thing over and over.
Good luck!
Isn’t that what the “fast charge” cables sold on Amazon are?

thats interesting, I assumed some form of digital communication was taking place...

I guess easiest solution is to buy a 12v charger that supports the same type of fast charging as the devices. I think Quick Charge and Power Delivery are the common ones.
Technically it is communicating. Information is passed from the charger to the phone. If it’s trying high or low it’s using binary and therefore digital. The message length is very short though 😀

Good luck!
Tried to buy a charge only cable yesterday but apparently there is no such thing, at least not here in NZ anyway. On board the truck I only have basic tools but home in a couple of days so will perform a termindictomy on the cable once I have the proper gear to hand.

Tried to buy a charge only cable yesterday but apparently there is no such thing, at least not here in NZ anyway. On board the truck I only have basic tools but home in a couple of days so will perform a termindictomy on the cable once I have the proper gear to hand.
I'm not sure what you mean by a charge only cable. You could just buy a standard cable and doctor it. I'd still be inclined to doctor the outlet, though, if you have access to the data pins.

I have recently installed one of these in my caravan, fed from the 12V system. When conneced to my tablet, the screen shows 'fast charging'. Has big and little sockets and a digital volt meter, the primary reason I chose it.

Hope this helps, if anyone is still reading this thread.

Gemcoo Car USB Socket QC 3.0 36W 12V Car Power Outlet Waterproof Double Car Charger Socket with LED Voltmeter for Marine, Boat, Motorcycle, RV, ATV.​

Sorry that looks messy, the previous link actually posted my entire Amazon page and details!

Last edited:
If changing the USB charger, it often makes sense to get one of the even more powerful ones: I have one of these in each car, which will charge multiple devices at ludicrous speeds and even my laptop.

130W charger: https://amzn.to/46RbsoE by Ugreen (reasonably recognisable brand). Many of the car 12V adapters won't offer the 20v desired for laptop charging but this one will.

I tried putting in built-in USB adapters in the campervan, but technology keeps changing, whereas the "12v cigar lighter socket" may well outlive us all.

One thing with fast chargers- is there are currently about half a dozen different systems in use, some of which are semi compatible, some of which are totally incompatible, all of which default to the standard 'slow' 5v charge rate
When choosing a 'fast charger' you REALLY need to look up which your phone/tablet uses, and what the fast charger you are getting uses- otherwise you are taking a chance on it hitting its fastest charge rate, somewhere in the middle, or being stuck on the default slow rate...

1724080828390.png

Like the old VHS/Beta but worse....
They all do the 'same thing' but not all compatible with each other...
(and worse- at least you could tell a VHS and Beta apart, these all 'plug into each other' but may or may not actually work!!!)

Latest posts

Back