Surface Planer Good Deal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaric

Reaction score
Hey! Would love to get some help in assessing if this is a good deal? Anyone have experience with these old Axminsters? Don't have the ability to get 3 phase power into my workshop, so alot of the 2nd hand PTs aren't possible for me, most others on eBay are too far away, and don't wanna shell out £1000+ on potentially a lemon from China etc. Looking to start a business from my back garden, and a decent PT is essential (I know this is just a planer, but if I got this, I can afford a separate thicknesser looking at the DW-733)

Sent him asking if it is single phase and as far as he knows is it in good working condition. But not sure on the reliability of these, eBay link below:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/365038000809?_skw=surface+planer&itmmeta=01J82TN3CBJJRFWWKDDFFS54SF&hash=item54fdf5daa9:g:sGYAAOSwuc9mp7O1&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0HoV3kP08IDx+KZ9MfhVJKk6r4FKvjcAc/FmQjw9a6zuw1cA3xuUzsTzWVjpMxqkvKUCOuAwp7FGTZSWh+QfXACrTcmHk190h7bPtG35ybZVU+jfAx3UOpcH/RQAD9QCCQHlMjjt+E348wAIB67Eb9teLhtBPvzm2XESgopTuDQDRJWJ8HPbvSFfizZIsgnb8+05xwvZvDm3t1I8XDHzxYcOP/KJgjotYOVPZ5i7960iXaKai9lVdgvuxH9vZfqBZt4DqxYrlZncFaRE+Wz98sk=|tkp:Bk9SR6a21NrAZA&edge=1

Any help would be appreciated!

Alaric

I dont know the brand but saw that its made in Taiwan. Looks like a good unit. The ad missed all the important info like power and dimentions but looks like an 8'' to me. If it runs and suits your power supply I would say its a pretty good deal. They are basically quite simple machines with not a lot that can go wrong with them. Blades will likely need sharpening and perhaps bearings may need replacing but they are not expensive.
Regards
John

Blades will likely need sharpening

And maybe give the rest of it a wipe over with a damp cloth :LOL:

it is much older version(25+ years) and looks to be needing a fair bit of work to bring it back in order

Price is a bit high for its condition, but completed listings has sold a number at less and in better condition
I wouldn't necessarily jump at it. Maybe hold off for something in better condition, they seem to pop up at regular intervals

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...planer&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Last edited:
I sold what I deduce was an older model a few months ago that was in much better condition than that one, and would agree that price is a bit high given its rusty condition

I looks to have cast iron tables, adjust height infeed and outfeed, a solid fence, and is a reasonable length. All good points for a surface planer.

The most important aspect of a surface planer is that the beds are in the same horizontal plane. With a long straight edge across the beds you can check this. If they are not then you’re in for some work to fix this, assuming the machine is designed such that you can.

Bearings are another thing to check, not a difficult fix but another days work if they are shot, and a haggling point if required.

As others said price feels high but it is open for offers. If in good condition bar the cosmetics and you could get it for £150 I would feel it’s a winner.

It looks like the type that the rise/fall of the tables is through sliding up angled ways. If these are worn it can be very hard to achieve co-planarity
Otherwise looks fine - the rust looks superficial.

On the 3PH thing - if you make a one-time investment in a decent VFD, you can use all sorts of 3PH kit

It looks like the type that the rise/fall of the tables is through sliding up angled ways. If these are worn it can be very hard to achieve co-planarity
Otherwise looks fine - the rust looks superficial.

On the 3PH thing - if you make a one-time investment in a decent VFD, you can use all sorts of 3PH kit
Looks like that is the design, there is a manual for a more modern version that looks pretty identical here link. Bearings are 6203s so £5-10 each and commonly available if reqired.

Amazing! First post here and blown away by all the help, thanks everyone.

Ok cool, well I’ll go round and check all the things mentioned here, and if all good, I’ll see if I can knock the price down. It’s definitely seen better days, so hopefully it’s not too hard

All the best!

It looks a bit scruffy but if it all works as it should and just needs a good clean I reckon the price is okay, you could make them an offer but I wouldn't miss out on it for the sake of a few quid.

Part of the fun of old machinery is giving it a good clean and service when you first get it, it helps you familiarise yourself with how it all works.

I guess I am not in touch with uk prices. If a big solid 8'' long bed surface planer (jointer) like that came up here at that price I would reckon it a right bargain. Long as it is in working order and all that. Little bit of surface rust can be the buyers friend. Not hard to clean up and gives you a chance to talk the price down.
Regards
John

Agree with the other posters, they aren't complicated machines, easily dissasembled and refurbished. I'd go for it particularly if you can get the price down to £150 ish.

I'd reccomend this (Shield Rust Remover) for getting the rust off. Best to take the beds off and get a tub they will fit in (doesn't need to be deep, you can put them face down), then leave them in there overnight, ideally scrubbing them with a brillo pad/wire brush intermittently to allow the rust remover to get to rust underneath. Once cleaned up they will look great.

Makes a nice project and once youve refurbished/restored something yourself I always think you are guaranteed to look after it then as you value it that little bit more.

Back