Strange website displays...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
In the past few weeks I've been having this curious - and very irritating - experience when using my laptop.
No matter which site I open, I first get a "bare bones" version of the page...the only way to show what should be shown is to hit the "Reload this page" button, top left. Sometimes even that doesn't work, and I'm forced to either press it a few times or re-highlight (?) the address bar and hit enter again...
Here's an example - happens to be the Nationwide BS in this case. The image on the left is like a skeleton of the "proper" display...
I've checked the display drivers - up to date - and run various other checks, but nothing seems out of date/wrong....
Any suggestions?

problem.JPG

What you are seeing is the web page without the format applied, I assume you have all the updates for the OS and are not having internet speed issues.

What you are seeing is the web page without the format applied, I assume you have all the updates for the OS and are not having internet speed issues.

Well, it is BT broadband....I've just done a speedtest (by Ookla) and got download of 4.53, upload of 7.20, so not the best.
OS is Windows 10 Home, and up to date...

Advice above is sound and the best first step. Next and if that doesn't help, which browser? If you are still using Internet Explorer the predecessor to Edge yiu might find some sites don't work nicely. I would try Edge and Chrome.

It is the CSS files which are being blocked - if in Chrome or Firefox - press F12 to see the developer console - you may have some error messages which help track down the issue...

2 possible candidates:
- firewalls being over-aggresive
- Ad-blocking software in the browser

Cheers, men.
Will have a gander at what you suggest...
(It's Brave browser, by the way)

okay - shouldn't be happening but brave browser might be a part of the equation - most developers tend to code to a maximum of three core technologies - Safari / Chrome, Firefox, Edge - so may be worth trying Chrome or Firefox as an alternative to see if that makes a difference...

Back