Stanley Bailey No 4: To far gone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":3cyvm31x said:
ED65":3cyvm31x said:
Almost nobody does it, but you can leave pits on some plane irons, on a jack or roughing plane for example.
Pitting on the flat of the iron should be a deal breaker, "almost nobody does it" for a good reason.

It's not just because of the rough finish that pitting produces. It's also because the pitted section in the edge is extremely blunt, so there's the effort involved in driving a mill or two of extremely blunt blade through the workpiece. And the deeper you are into the workpiece (i.e. as with a jack or scrub plane), the harder it becomes. That's why no craftsman worth his salt will tolerate a chip in the edge of their iron; it's a faff to grind it out, but it's even more of a faff forcing it through the timber.

For the trivial cost of a replacement Stanley or Record iron it's just not worth the muscle power.
I'm not talking anything of the level you'd class as a chip, just about a few minor pits remaining at the cutting edge. They'd be barely deep enough to catch a fingernail and not enough of them that the edge is serrated or anything like that.

I have two cambered irons with a few pits in rotation (one heavily cambered, the other lightly) and there's no noticeable difference in the effort to push. I would be against this if it did mean a big increase in resistance; it's why I'm not a fan of back-bevelling as a rule, even for the amateur who only planes occasionally this can be a big deal because they're not in 'planing condition' like a pro might be.

Benchwayze":375knity said:
Tim,

I think I solved the reason the plane was painted green. I seem to recall a chap where I used to work in the 60's, who painted his planes white, just abaft the handle, so he knew his plane, if it 'walked'! So maybe someone chose green for the same reason!

I have had a closer look at this plane, and I find that the lever cap tension screw is worn, and wobbles about like a kid's loose tooth. It is possible to tighten it, but the blade is too stiff to adjust easily. I think the plane needs a replacement frog. If I can find one sculling around my shop I'll change it. If not, then I have a search on my hands, because I wouldn't feel right passing on the plane as it is; at least not without revealing the fault.

That's a shame. Can you decide if it is the bolt or thread? I assume the thread if you are thinking of a new frog. Could a sllightly oversized thread be cut and fashion or use a new matching bolt? It seems to me that the cap irons are a pretty loose fit on most planes in this respect so there would be leeway in the bolt size. I'll quickly add I'm not great with that type of metal work - I've avoided working on cars my whole life for that reason. I don't have any taps or dies either - but I know someone who has.

See what you've got in the parts pile first tho' of course :)

Custard & ED: As I mentioned at some point, I din't use the original blade because it was so bad. I did try sharpening it (as far as my sharpening abilities could take it) and a close look immediately revealed the problems that Custard is referring to. On the other hand - it does cut and produces shavings.

Just thought I would further muddy the waters with that :)

Benchwayze":2vgog9vq said:
Tim,

I think I solved the reason the plane was painted green. I seem to recall a chap where I used to work in the 60's, who painted his planes white, just abaft the handle, so he knew his plane, if it 'walked'! So maybe someone chose green for the same reason!

I have had a closer look at this plane, and I find that the lever cap tension screw is worn, and wobbles about like a kid's loose tooth. It is possible to tighten it, but the blade is too stiff to adjust easily. I think the plane needs a replacement frog. If I can find one sculling around my shop I'll change it. If not, then I have a search on my hands, because I wouldn't feel right passing on the plane as it is; at least not without revealing the fault.

Hi
I can supply a modern frog (foc) but it hasn't got the cap lever screw or the lateral lever, yours if it helps.

Bod

Hi
I can supply a modern frog (foc) but it hasn't got the cap lever screw or the lateral lever, yours if it helps.
Bod

I have Record cap screw :) from the No. 4 I scrapped. It may well/should fit? Let's go for it.

I must be able to make something of it, if there's problems I still have about 6-8 weeks of boot sales to find parts from breakers like where I picked up a 2 1/4" stanley blade and backing iron today for 50p I believe that will fit the 5 1/2 too.

It'll probably be £15.00 postage with the additional bits. But PM me... (it'll be my first PM!) and as of yet I have no idea how I pay you either.. maybe put that in the PM. Once again thanks very much especially given the extra trouble.

Timbo.

Bod":1fclckfh said:
Benchwayze":1fclckfh said:
Tim,

Hi

Bod
That frog is starting to be so well travelled it's going to need it's own bus pass. :wink:

Timbo you might have to change your signature fella. :D

Timbo you might have to change your signature fella. :D

That one is one of my Granddad's that I always remembered and proved true some many times.

My Dad had another one: "That'll come in handy if we never use it" which could apply to worn out or well travelled frogs :)

I think this is almost as far as I am going to go. There are a few obvious problems still, like the fit of the knob, it fixes down tight and firmly but the wood around the brass fixing cap just crumbled away at the very top due to to its time in water I assume.

There are still nicks and marks in the knob and handle but if I sanded them all out there wouldn't be much of handle or knob left! With the handle the bottom was soft and rotten (just like the top of the knob) so sanded until it was firm. Having done that I had to cut about and eigth off the fixing rod or it wouldn't tighten.

They were so discoloured that I stained them with a rosewood stain and then, having found some in the garage I finished them with severral coats of Danish oil.

I need to get a flat-stone and some fine wet and dry so that I can finish the sole and be sure the it is nice and flat.

Otherwise, it 's no work of art but I'm really pleased given how it started out. I've added a couple of reminders pics too - including the view of the frog that almost made me give up on it at the start!

Attachments

• bailey5.jpg
    bailey5.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 569
  • bailey4.jpg
    bailey4.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 570
  • bailey3.jpg
    bailey3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 570
  • Bailey2.jpg
    Bailey2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 570
  • Bailey1.jpg
    Bailey1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 570
Nice. =D>

You've done well, that looks like it's be a good user plane. Anything more is just bling* - to satisfy yourself, not the wood you're intending to plane.

* nothing wrong with bling, but it's not necessary to make the plane cut well.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back