Shooting board versus mitre trimmer for fine boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradyS

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good day!

As the thread name suggests it, I would appreciate some professional opinions from those of you who have used or are using ideally both of these options. I am looking for a long term solution regarding mitred joints. A part of my intended activity is going to be fine box making. I'm still learning to use hand tools.

Now I have neither used a mitre (guillotine), nor a shooting board. I don't own a low angle jack plane. Theory, yes, I gathered around both. Looking for more hands-on points of view here from you.

I won't have much use for shooting boards except for this purpose. Same goes for a mitre trimmer, although making picture frames would be lucrative in my area.

Since for me the costs of the plane, accessories and related jigs is similar to that of a used mitre trimmer (the tall, standing one, not the benchtop version), what do you suggest?

Much appreciated,
Brad

For boxes I’d go shooting plane as gives more versatility - doesn’t have to be expensive - a woody is easy to adjust to being 90degrees between side and sole and has good reference faces.

Back