Sedgwick MB rise and fall damage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetsetwilly

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Morning all, inspired partly by the excellent refurb thread from @deema and @Sideways, I have acquired a Sedgwick MB in green, but I think I've already broken it getting it home. It was slung under the thicknesser table as per the manual, with a block of wood jammed between thicknesser table and rollers/cutterblock, but after it was loaded I noticed that the wood was actually on the fingers, and now the thicknesser table falls nicely but when lifting it sticks, seemingly once per handle revolution. I can't see any damage from underneath, but clearly there is some.

My question is where is it likely to be? I can't see how a pull on the table could stress the worm gears (as the acme rise/fall thread should not transfer any force to them), but I also can't see how it could be anything else.

I hadn't planned it, but looks like I might be doing my own stripdown thread....

Whipped the rise/fall threaded block out. Thread looks mullered to me…. I guess the next step is to find a machine shop, but are there any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_5011.jpeg
    IMG_5011.jpeg
    1.7 MB
Let's have a look at the male thread. Give us some more idea of what sort of thread it is, and it the thread is indeed deaded.

Morning all, inspired partly by the excellent refurb thread from @deema and @Sideways, I have acquired a Sedgwick MB in green, but I think I've already broken it getting it home. It was slung under the thicknesser table as per the manual, with a block of wood jammed between thicknesser table and rollers/cutterblock, but after it was loaded I noticed that the wood was actually on the fingers, and now the thicknesser table falls nicely but when lifting it sticks, seemingly once per handle revolution. I can't see any damage from underneath, but clearly there is some.

My question is where is it likely to be? I can't see how a pull on the table could stress the worm gears (as the acme rise/fall thread should not transfer any force to them), but I also can't see how it could be anything else.

I hadn't planned it, but looks like I might be doing my own stripdown thread

Last edited:

I hadn't planned it, but looks like I might be doing my own stripdown thread....
Get a screw pitch gauge, cheap enough. Measure hole, my guess M16, and get a tap

Get a screw pitch gauge, cheap enough. Measure hole, my guess M16, and get a tap
Are the old Sedgwicks metric? Can't find my thread gauges but with a dial gauge it's possibly M20x2.5 (seems too big for 3/4-10). I thought it was trapezoidal but actually looks like a plain thread, in which case a tap might be worth a try, though to me it looks like a fair bit of material has gone.

The male thread is fine, I'm guessing it's hardened steel.

Attachments

• IMG_5019.jpeg
    IMG_5019.jpeg
    1.6 MB
Are the old Sedgwicks metric? Can't find my thread gauges but with a dial gauge it's possibly M20x2.5 (seems too big for 3/4-10). I thought it was trapezoidal but actually looks like a plain thread, in which case a tap might be worth a try, though to me it looks like a fair bit of material has gone.

The male thread is fine, I'm guessing it's hardened steel.
I wouldn't be so sure about that thread being ok, it looks "rolled" over to me?
Cheers Andy

Latest posts

Back