Sanding discs on the lathe, do you glue them on or use something like velcro?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just spent a while cleaning old sandpaper off a sanding disk for the new-to-me lathe. Looks like it had been glued on with regular wood glue and took a long soak and judicious use of a chisel to clean all the paper and glue off. I've given it a clean with a wire brush and some fine emery and it looks like new.

However, what's the best way to attach new paper to it that allows you to change the paper/grit more easily in future as I'd want to be ale to go through a series of grits when sanding?

I've found self adhesive disks at Axminster which says they're re-usable if you heat them with a hot air gun to soften the adhesive before removal. I thought perhaps of using velcro in a similar way to the pads on a random orbit sander but haven't found anything suitable for an 8" disk.

Just wondering what folks here use for such a thing.

Velcro is far easier and the discs seem to last forever. You will have to source the hook disc first of course. I see them on US websites.

150mm and 300mm Velcro pads and discs available from Charnwood at modest prices:
product/hook-loop-pad-to-convert-discs-up-to-150mm
Search on VB300 for the 300mm pads

Thanks every one for such helpful answers. Looking at the velcro that Charnwood sell, it looks like regular self adhesive backed hook velcro and I've remembered I have some of that in the workshop. Only 2" wide but a few strips of that should cover a 20cm disk and then I just have to buy some velcro backed sanding pads. Should have that all sorted soon. Thanks again.

Back