Sanding discs on the lathe, do you glue them on or use something like velcro?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just spent a while cleaning old sandpaper off a sanding disk for the new-to-me lathe. Looks like it had been glued on with regular wood glue and took a long soak and judicious use of a chisel to clean all the paper and glue off. I've given it a clean with a wire brush and some fine emery and it looks like new.

However, what's the best way to attach new paper to it that allows you to change the paper/grit more easily in future as I'd want to be ale to go through a series of grits when sanding?

I've found self adhesive disks at Axminster which says they're re-usable if you heat them with a hot air gun to soften the adhesive before removal. I thought perhaps of using velcro in a similar way to the pads on a random orbit sander but haven't found anything suitable for an 8" disk.

Just wondering what folks here use for such a thing.

Velcro is far easier and the discs seem to last forever. You will have to source the hook disc first of course. I see them on US websites.

Back