RUST Prevention on TOOLS- I am giving up on Camellia Oil...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimal working conditions 30c, 80° humidity. Probaly counts it out for sunny Cornwall - never that warm and rarely that dry. :LOL: How well does it work?
Honestly it works really well, I live about a mile from the coast so really humid and really salty air! Plus I’m in a small shed workshop.with no insulation so get the swings of humidity and temperature. I run it year round, depending on the weather have to empty it maybe once every 2-4 days.

Does a fairly good job at keeping the inside dry and rust etc away in conjunction with the other measures I mentioned.

Honestly it works really well, I live about a mile from the coast so really humid and really salty air! Plus I’m in a small shed workshop.with no insulation so get the swings of humidity and temperature. I run it year round, depending on the weather have to empty it maybe once every 2-4 days.

Does a fairly good job at keeping the inside dry and rust etc away in conjunction with the other measures I mentioned.

I use my homemade sanding wax mixture; liquid paraffin, beeswax, pure turpentine, orange oil in a 60:30:10:a few drops ratio. Orange oil is there because I like the smell😊. A tiny bit on the lathe bed, tools and bandsaw works a treat.

That's one small dehumidifier. Mine's a small one and it's 250w.
I have taken to this too. I run a biggish DH for a couple of hours each evening on a timer aiming for 60% RH. On damp days it knocks a lot of water out of the air. 3L of condensation every few days is quite a weight and more than enough to keep the houseplants watered.
This will be costing me more than @Sgian Dubh 's cabinet but I agree, it's worth it to keep my stuff in better condition.

Hello Sideways,
Thanks for your reply.
Addendum: mine is not "water-thin". It is more like a light cooking oil. It certainly has some body to it.***
If memory serves, I purchased a small spray bottle of Camellia Oil from one of the larger woodworking tool outlets years ago that was made in Japan. I did not use it on an "oil can" at the time. In retrospect, I do not recall having the same gumming issues with that small bottle.
My current bottle of camellia oil was purchased on Amazon: "Dr Joe Lab Camellia Seed Oil is 100% Natural Pure Cold-Pressed Japanese Camellia Seed Oil Grade A". They fail to specify where it is made... China, I suspect. ***Perhaps I have purchased an adulterated product?
How does one prevent the oil from gumming-up on the cloth of the oil can, where it must be applied liberally?
I am thinking of experimenting with a dilution of 50% Camellia Oil and 50% paint thinner.
Liquid paraffin from your pharmacy is what you need to thin it

Liquid paraffin from your pharmacy is what you need to thin it
Is "Liquid Paraffin" the same product as conventional "Mineral Oil"?
I have found the latter to be rather viscous.
I suspect your recommended Liquid Paraffin is more like the Kerosene we use for lamps on this side of the pond (and yes, I still use them on occasion, especially when we have power outages).
I wonder how well Mineral Oil would work to dilute the Camellia Oil, but since it does not harden, it may be a suitable diluent.
I will have to try small samples of each...

Yes, sorry.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacquard-J...&sprefix=microcrystalline+wax+,aps,133&sr=8-5

is one. Pellets are probably easier to use. Just melt it in white spirit or pure turpentine. I like the turpentine because it smells nice - it makes no difference to the finished product. I've made it straight and also mixed with carnauba and or beeswax - you can mess about with the mix. If you make it too thin, adds ome more wax, if you make it too thick, add some more solvent.

I use Camellia oil, its definitely thinner than, say, warm olive oil (not that I'm particularly familiar with the properties of warm olive oil, but a friend told me!). I wipe it on and then off and then in the autumn/winter/spring follow with a coat of liquid wax (also wiped off).
I have never seen the gummy effect you describe.
Camellia oil is quite expensive and you say you have a huge bottle. How much did you pay for it? Is it possible that it's actually another oil with Camellia added and then sold as "Camellia Oil"?

I use Camellia oil, its definitely thinner than, say, warm olive oil (not that I'm particularly familiar with the properties of warm olive oil, but a friend told me!). I wipe it on and then off and then in the autumn/winter/spring follow with a coat of liquid wax (also wiped off).
I have never seen the gummy effect you describe.
Camellia oil is quite expensive and you say you have a huge bottle. How much did you pay for it? Is it possible that it's actually another oil with Camellia added and then sold as "Camellia Oil"?
Hello Isaac,
Thanks for the reply. I paid $37 US for it, with free shipping. I will no longer be using it. I wish it were cheaper to ship to the UK (I have family there); I would send it to you gratis. Perhaps I will try wiping it off after application, but that does not relieve the problem I have with it gumming-up on my can oiler/oiler can. I have switched to light spindle oil mixed with ATF (for now).
Here is the Amazon link (US): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M5K3W75/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Best wishes, Alex.
P.S. Please, let me know if you think this is a fraudulent product!

I guess I'm lucky living in what amounts to a dry climate and having a well insulated, heated shop. No rust on any of the tools or machines. When I lived on the West Coast the shop was the basement and it was heated so no rust there either. I use paste wax on machine tables so the work slides easily but that's all it is for.

Pete

I use this product: https://www.axminstertools.com/came...0018?queryID=160ae1ebf0f7721c71274d27c0ea01c2
Which works out about twice as expensive. That's not beyond the bounds of possibility given that buying larger quantities often gives a discount. However, I have no facilities to test the claim that the product is 100% pure Camellia oil.
However, Camellia oil will polymerise over time. Maybe you have been unlucky and have been sold old product which has started to polymerise?

I use this product: https://www.axminstertools.com/came...0018?queryID=160ae1ebf0f7721c71274d27c0ea01c2
Which works out about twice as expensive. That's not beyond the bounds of possibility given that buying larger quantities often gives a discount. However, I have no facilities to test the claim that the product is 100% pure Camellia oil.
However, Camellia oil will polymerise over time. Maybe you have been unlucky and have been sold old product which has started to polymerise?
Yes, likely it is an older bottle of oil. There was no expiration date on it. Amazon has oft been criticized for selling outdated products... one of the reasons they are sometimes cheaper. "Unlucky" is perhaps not the correct term...
My first bottle of Camellia oil was packaged exactly like the one in your link, but had only Japanese script on it. It never gummed-up on me.
Thanks & best wishes... A.

Back