Remake of Preston scratch stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, interesting. I guess that the challenge for LV, as it was for Preston, is that if you look at all the people who might want to scratch a moulding by hand, some of them will want to buy the special tool, but others -maybe most of them? - will just cut a slit in a bit of scrap wood, secure a cutter with a screw, and get on with it.
That said, the price in dollars is less than I would have guessed, much less than a collectable original.
And I can personally confirm that the LV cutters are good for those not keen on metalwork.

i like that. i think that there are more people that would prefer to make than buy than you would imagine, although I appreciate that many people enjoy making tools too. when making tools, i always find that time is of the essence because it is holding up the project- maybe others view it as part of the project. If the price translated $ to £ then for £36, it wouldn't be bad value for its usefulness.

well done to LV for giving us the option, in any case. I am not sure how many other purchased scratch stocks are out there to buy off the shelf.

Don't really follow LV so missed this, but the cutter set at $23 looks well worth it as shaping your own is a bit tedious. I'd buy the cutters but do as Andy says more or less - in my case a Wickes scratch gauge modified to suit. And we all need a relative that goes to the States often, I rarely let my son-in-law come back empty :)

I'm very tempted as well. I have a LN #66, which gets a lot of use, but this is a large tool and sometimes the handles get in the way, or the body is too wide to get inside a curve. I generally tend to make a blade for a wooden block, but the downside of this is the lack of adjustability when the the cutter needs sharpening. I have the older LV scratch stock/beader, which is rarely used, as it suffers from this disadvantage. The ability to set a fence is important in my view, not only for sharpening, but also when working grain from both directions.

The LV blades fit the LN and Stanley #66, but are a little shorter and the metal is thinner. I like the rigidity of the LN cutters, however the arris is thicker than on the LV. The finer LV arris can create a sharper profile, but this is also trickier to use since this thinner, pointier section is more vulnerable to follow the grain. Use light strokes.

A review of the older LV scratch stock written several years ago: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... eader.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

condeesteso":pnobi1it said:
Don't really follow LV so missed this, but the cutter set at $23 looks well worth it as shaping your own is a bit tedious.

It looks like the LV cutter set is common to all their (3) scratch tools.

It also looks like the new Preston is either a dead copy, or even a recast; it even has the Preston logo!

http://thekiltedwoodworker.com/2015/03/ ... its-clone/

http://www.findmytool.co.uk/preston-rou ... review.php

http://www.stagtools.co.uk/Gallery/Pres ... shaves.htm

(note logo and location c.f. Lee Valley)

15p1710v1.jpg

BugBear

CStanford":2uv3y7q5 said:
Lee Valley at its best. Much more appealing than the iterations of bench planes over the years. I'm actually moved to order one of these.

I already have... The combination of me thinking 'I really must make a scratch stock', seeing this thread and the Weak dollar and/or Strong pound made it inevitable that I would.

Attribution is adequate I'd say:

"Founded in 1825, Edward Preston & Sons, Ltd. produced some of the finest tools of the Victorian age. "
"Our version is a close reproduction of the original, cast from stainless steel with a black powder-coat finish."

Thanks BugBear for the cutter info, as I have one of their other scratch stocks, but really like the looks of this one (plus I accumulate Preston tools and even though this is a copy, it would just look right with the rest of my stuff).

Jelly":3h8di4sd said:
CStanford":3h8di4sd said:
Lee Valley at its best. Much more appealing than the iterations of bench planes over the years. I'm actually moved to order one of these.

I already have... The combination of me thinking 'I really must make a scratch stock', seeing this thread and the Weak dollar and/or Strong pound made it inevitable that I would.

Jelly,

Any idea on total cost inc shipping and taxes? I really want one of these now.

Matt

undergroundhunter":3va9ro11 said:
Jelly":3va9ro11 said:
CStanford":3va9ro11 said:

Jelly,

Matt
I've ordered one from Australia, postage just over $14US, that's for surface delivery.

undergroundhunter":231zd4c4 said:
Jelly":231zd4c4 said:
CStanford":231zd4c4 said:

Jelly,

Matt

Shipping was just shy of $20, the stock and blades $60... That's about £54, tax will be about another £10, for a rough total of £65 ish

The weird bit for me was the UPS Express shipping (takes 1 week) was cheaper than the USPS Surface Mail rate (takes 8 weeks)... Win-Win really, but you wouldn't think it would be so.

Jelly":65g0lxk4 said:
The weird bit for me was the UPS Express shipping (takes 1 week) was cheaper than the USPS Surface Mail rate (takes 8 weeks)... Win-Win really, but you wouldn't think it would be so.
Half your luck! The surface mail was cheaper to Australia so I went for that. Gives me something to look forward to; though at my age I might forgot I ordered it by the time it arrived.

Jelly, I'm now in the same position as you. Our son turned up and decided he also needed a scratchstock and one of the new mitre planes so the extra weight made ups cheaper than surface mail! I've stopped trying to make sense of the world.

Back