Ideas to fix pilar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go to the Clarke website you can download the manual for it, there are loads and don't know your model. Looked at a couple and they have a taper fit chuck. You might need to get a wedge type tool to remove it, but it almost certainly does come off, never come across one of any make where the chuck cannot be removed, but they are often pretty stubborn.
I know the collar is not the greatest quality part, it looks very similar to the one on mine, which is a Wickes own branded one, and not particularly robust !
Have you looked at what they charge for a new one? The manuals generally have an exploded drawing with part numbers, so should be easy enough to find out if it is available and at what price.
Hi thanks, I did eventually manage to get the chuck off, with difficulty.

I had to grip the pulley inside the top tightly, put a rod in the chuck key hole and hit it with a big hammer to twist it off.

The inner barrel of the chuck is smooth and keys into a slight taper coming from the drive shaft with a friction fit

Check e bay listing 325048465414. Generic part from Finland, 11 odd quid including delivery to UK. There are loads similar on the web, mostly in US. This is plastic there are also metal ones. Dare say if you look around there will be someone here selling them. Also available on Ali Express. Or maybe someone here could 3d print one?
Yep this is pretty much it. Are these 3D printed plastic ones strong enough to not give flex like my plywood part did?

Other idea would be to pop into your local Machine mart, they could probably order a replacement for you. I have had mixed experiences at different branches, some very good others not so much, but worth a try.
From your picture of it off the machine it does look exactly the same as mine. Not surprising, generic Chinese machine, probably the only difference being the colour of the paint and the label !
I don't use the depth stop often. I only really use this little drill for odd jobs, as I have a couple of much bigger ones. I can see how it might cause problems if you did use it regularly, it is pretty flimsy.

I can print it no problem. Will just want postage and message me your address and any colour preference.
In the file (I wouldn’t know how to open it) how is the post attached? Do you add a nut to the underside like the stock one or is the thread 3D printed?

It’s a really kind offer, thanks.
I have had another member message me about making a metal one, but I don’t want to put them out. If 3D printed is strong enough it’s less faff for you to make

The nut is inserted under the print. It looks l like square nuts might be used to help clamp them together but I can sort that. It's as easy to print one as three although I think Mudman is printing his own. I'll print three tonight and if Mudman is making his own, there will be a spare. I'm going with red unless you catch me in time.

Last edited:
The nut is inserted under the print. It looks l like square nuts might be used to help clamp them together but I can sort that. It's as easy to print one as three although I think Mudman is printing his own. I'll print three tonight and if Mudman is making his own, there will be a spare. I'm going with red unless you catch me in time.
I printed one off but unfortunately it doesn't quite fit. ☹️
My drill press is an old draper and when I fitted it, the hole for the threaded part that sets the depth stop isn't over far enough to be directly under the hole on the drill body.
It isn't a lot but it means you can't fit the depth stop to it.
Looks like I'm going to have to create my own after all.
I've measured mine and attached a picture to show it. PXL_20240626_195544879.MP.jpgPXL_20240626_195514666.MP~2.jpg

Oh sorry, I hadn't realised you were going to print one for me. I have my own 3d printer so am able to print my own.

I printed one off but unfortunately it doesn't quite fit. ☹️
My drill press is an old draper and when I fitted it, the hole for the threaded part that sets the depth stop isn't over far enough to be directly under the hole on the drill body.
It isn't a lot but it means you can't fit the depth stop to it.
Looks like I'm going to have to create my own after all.
I've measured mine and attached a picture to show it.View attachment 183449View attachment 183450
pipper. I saw this after your last post. I had that version many years ago and I broke my plastic part too as I remember.

No probs. I thought I may as well print a third in-case and have a spare for who may want it. FYI I printed them in PLA Silk at 0.2 and 30% infill.
Hopefully they'll fit the other machines.
I used PETG purely because that's what I had really loaded. I use a super fast profile as a sort of draft print that is .3mm and only 15% infill plus some other changes. Prints about twice as fast and in general is plenty strong enough.
As I said in the other post above, mine didn't fit so I'm going to have to create my own version. Probably similar to the one from Thingiverse but a little wider and I'll probably use heat set insets instead of the captive nuts.

So here's my own version.
Screenshot_20240627-195043.png

Dimensions slightly different and I've used heat set inserts instead of the captive nuts, but more or less the same idea.

PXL_20240627_184513207.MP.jpg
Works a treat.

The bit that receives the depth stop isn't quite right and I'll probably fix that before I
I print a higher resolution version with more infill but I think this one would work okay as it is.

Last edited:
Back