Recommended polishing kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Could anyone please recommend a budget polishing system or kit?
I'm excited to be working on my first project with my 15-year-old godson, who has a real passion for making custom chef's knives. We’ve just cut a blank and are getting ready to heat treat it in a forge I bought from a kind member here. Things are progressing nicely, and now I’m looking for an economical metal polishing system to achieve that glossy finish he desires for the blade. I’ve seen grinder and drill polishing systems, but I’d love to hear suggestions for a budget-friendly option that comes with polishing compounds and mops.
I would like to keep him interested, as these projects are obviously way more beneficial than him paling video game etc.

As always, many thanks in advance
Cheers,
Simon

Polishing mops and knife making is perhaps one of the most dangerous parts of the process that I avoid- it’s lost us at least one knife maker in the past few years.

Look up Nick Wheelers guide to hand sanding and make up some of his paper holders.
Working with papers up to 2k will get you close enough to mirror that you can then hand polish with compounds.

If dead set on the buffed mirror (it’s a lot of work) then you’ll need to make a decent backing board and bolt the blade down to it so that when it snatches on the mop it just launches a lump of wood into your gut and not a knife.

You’ll then need a cutting compound and sisal wheels, refining with a stitched mop. A loose mop is snatch city and best avoided.

Assume you’re using a belt grinder for the bevels so look up cork belts - you can get close to mirror using them and more likely to launch anything down at your feet than at your gut.

Latest posts

Back