Recommendations for low price ultrasonic cleaner for Stihl carburetor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodieallen

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the above.

Also any recommendations for carburetor cleaner. Got a Stihl strimmer that stalls when you fully open the throttle. Air cleaner is clear.

TIA

As per the above.

Also any recommendations for carburetor cleaner. Got a Stihl strimmer that stalls when you fully open the throttle. Air cleaner is clear.

TIA
It's worth taking it apart first, give it a good blast of carb cleaner, especially down the jets, emulsion tube etc. Repeat it 2 or 3 times leaving a few minutes between each blast and then try it again. Stalling on throttle opening usually means weak mixture, if you leave the choke on and then use full throttle does it pick up ok? maybe slowly reducing the choke just confirm mixture issue. If it is an air bleed type carb, screw the idle air in further to richen the mixture.

I realise this isn't answering your question, but it might be cheaper to buy a replacement carb. I bought one (Chinese, I think) for my Stihl brush cutter, and it works fine.
You may, of course, be looking to buy an ultrasonic cleaner anyway, and this is the way in, in which case forget I said anything.

I see Flying haggis beat me to it.

Thanks chaps. Hadn't realised the replacement carbs were such good value. I'll give the mixture test that was suggested first but failing that will get a new one.

Why an ultrasonic cleaner? Generations of mechanics got by without one. Can you buy carburetor cleaner at your auto store? Find a suitable metal container, take the carb apart, soak it in that. If you don't own an air compressor, go to your ironmonger, DIY store, or home improvement store* and find a spray can of compressed air to blow out the various tiny openings. Reassemble and give it a try.

Incidentally, here in the States, several companies sell a sort of super-stabilized petrol (TruFuel is one company, among others) that lasts years in the unopened can and two years once the can's opened (although, if your garden shed is damp, you may get a shorter life). Besides its stability, it seems to do a good job at keeping small motor carbs clean. Ask around in the yard equipment aisle at the appropriate stores. It's more expensive, but I find it well worthwhile.
--------------
*Some of us here in this ex-colony call them "Big Boxy Stores."

Can you buy carburetor cleaner at your auto store?

Incidentally, here in the States, several companies sell a sort of super-stabilized petrol

The proper carb. cleaner you have is not easily available here.

We have something called 'Aspen fuel' which is widely available and highly recommended. You can be economic with it by limiting it to the last tank of the season, so when the machine sits over-winter, the carb. does not gum up.

I don't know the model number of your strimmer, mine is an FS56R, if I remember correctly, but I found a YouTube video, which was useful, as the throttle cable end was slightly different from the original.

If you use E10 petrol and leave it in the machine over winter it can destroy a carburettor, it causes corrosion so drain the machine right out or use E5 or Aspen fuel. My rotavator with a honda engine had to have a new carb as a result so now only use E5 fuel.

If you use E10 petrol and leave it in the machine over winter it can destroy a carburettor, it causes corrosion so drain the machine right out or use E5 or Aspen fuel. My rotavator with a honda engine had to have a new carb as a result so now only use E5 fuel.
Not just the E10, leaving two stroke in small engines over winter is not good..

We have something called 'Aspen fuel' which is widely available and highly recommended. You can be economic with it by limiting it to the last tank of the season, so when the machine sits over-winter, the carb. does not gum up.
Tried over-wintering with Aspen. Made no difference.

I don't know the model number of your strimmer, mine is an FS56R, if I remember correctly, but I found a YouTube video, which was useful, as the throttle cable end was slightly different from the original.
Thanks John FS94C

I did look up the eBay link but that particular item didn't list my model. Have a call out to the Seller.

Aspen fuel is incredible. I start my saw once or twice a year. Always starts and runs. Only once I had a problem like the one your describing it was the spark plug needed cleaning and gapping but I’m sure you checked that already

There's a Youtube channel called "Chicanic", produced by a lady who is a wiz with small engines in the US somewhere.

She warns off clone carbs as they either don't work well, or stop working altogether, but in any case she's worth a look for all the repairs she does on Stihl equipment.

For what it's worth I tip out what's left in my Stihl saw then restart it and run it until it stops whilst moving it in a figure eight pattern.

Bought it the year of the Charles/ Diana wedding, had two new sprockets, 'stihl' going strong!

(There, I've said it now, oh bother! )

Brake cleaner is widely available and very similar.

Aspen fuel is incredible. I start my saw once or twice a year. Always starts and runs. Only once I had a problem like the one your describing it was the spark plug needed cleaning and gapping but I’m sure you checked that already
Surely (spark plug) that would make it hard to start ? It starts fine.

Latest posts

Back