Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With everything done ready for the air show on Saturday I made a start on a retirement gift for a colleague who has been at the school for almost 30 years, I was asked by some of the staff if I could make something for her as she loves my stuff, I know she absolutely loves the works of Mouseman who included a carved mouse on all his work, so I'm going to put my own spin on it, I can't carve for toffee so I've ordered a fat little carved mouse from Amazon,
51PHdkHMXjL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY160_.jpg
It took me a while (and a huge pile of shavings and discarded attempts) to come up with an idea I was happy with, all I knew at first was that I wanted to incorporate light so started with a piece of Western red cedar as it holds it shape really well and once you get it down to around 2mm or thinner it really glows, once I had it done I picked out a piece of Mountain Ash and put it between centres but off centre and started to balance/round it off then had to go to work so only have the light up part to show

20240612_210128.jpg20240612_210200.jpg20240612_210145.jpg
I would have liked the opening to be narrower but as I only have a bowl gouge it's awkward to get in without catching.

Some of the staff are doing a football thing (I don't follow it so have no idea what they were talking about whilst explaining it) and they asked if I could a little trophy and I agreed so after work I went out to the maker space and picked up a bit of Mountain Ash and started rounding it off and shaping followed by sanding to 240 and abrasive paste, what appeared was a bit bigger than they would want but I liked it, it needed something though so I grabbed a scrap of spalted Birch and made a base then a small piece of Beech for whatever they want to write on it. I really like it and might have to make them something else so I can keep it for a while 🤔🤔🤔🤔
20240618_174218.jpg20240618_174231.jpg20240618_174240.jpg20240618_174248.jpg20240618_174307.jpg

Some of the staff are doing a football thing (I don't follow it so have no idea what they were talking about whilst explaining it) and they asked if I could a little trophy and I agreed so after work I went out to the maker space and picked up a bit of Mountain Ash and started rounding it off and shaping followed by sanding to 240 and abrasive paste, what appeared was a bit bigger than they would want but I liked it, it needed something though so I grabbed a scrap of spalted Birch and made a base then a small piece of Beech for whatever they want to write on it. I really like it and might have to make them something else so I can keep it for a while 🤔🤔🤔🤔
View attachment 183098View attachment 183099View attachment 183100View attachment 183101View attachment 183102

Try again how did the air show go with the pots
Terrible mate, wind was so bad I spent the whole 6 hours holding the gazebo down or picking my stuff up off the floor, the wind was so bad at one point the gazebo next to us went flying off down the runway, a few of my bowls need resanding and finishing because of rain spots leaving white marks, I only made £30 for the day and my friend made about £60, the weather was so bad hardly anyone came, a few people took my details so maybe something will come through. It sucks, I really want someone to blame but this time there's nobody at fault, the forecast showed good weather right up until the day before then it changed.

So, one of the teachers has a plant on her desk that is fairly special to her (I don't know the story) it was a gorgeous plant when she got it but unfortunately one of the little crotch goblins knocked it over causing a lot of damage, for a few weeks it has been struggling and slowly turning yellow so on Friday evening I brought her home and removed all of the damaged leaves, there's a lot of new growth trying to come through so also gave her a soak in some fertilised water followed the next day by a new slightly bigger pot, the new pot didn't firnthe metal bucket pot she was in so today I made a new one from Ash and used 5 minute epoxy to seal the inside and a good coat of Danish oil on the outside.
20240624_170542.jpg20240624_170558.jpg20240624_170607.jpg20240624_170615.jpg20240624_170619.jpg17192587818402061463521724722632.jpg

Latest posts

Back