Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting on with the new sash bay window in the attic. All the timber is milled up to the correct size, lots of hamster bedding!

Using unsorted redwood for the whole build and really pleased with the quality so far. Pretty tight rings and lovely and resinous, shed smells delightful.

IMG_5330.jpeg

IMG_5329.jpeg

IMG_5332.jpeg

IMG_5331.jpeg

Fitz

Yesterday and this morning I made (just using hand tools as usual) my fifth one of these leaf tea caddies:

View attachment 190100

It's made of American black walnut with mitred (at the bottom) dovetails and the same simple hinge I've used on all the other ones. I've now made three with "TEA" carved into the top (all American black walnut), one with "KEEMUN" carved into the top (made of cherry) and one with "EARL GREY" carved into the top (ABW again). The Earl Grey one (of which I can't find any photos at the mo) was a present for my parents, the Keemun one is (predictably enough) for Keemun, which is what I mostly drink (weak and black). The bigger one of the existing "TEA" ones holds English breakfast tea, the smaller one has different things in depending on what we trying at the time (currently Darjeeling). The new one will also hold Keemun tea but is for me to take into work.

View attachment 190101

With that done, I had a fun little session using my little home-made block plane to make a load of shavings out of maple, walnut and cherry so that I could take an arty photo of it, which I'm going to get printed on a mug as it'll be a bit more interesting than the one I have at work at the mo:

View attachment 190102
Those are lovely. Did you carve the lettering by hand as well?

Back