Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sets of pecking seagull automata and broods of chickens on trolleys made to sell for charity. Made from recycled wood or timber taken from locally fallen trees.

Attachments

• IMG_9492.JPG
    IMG_9492.JPG
    6.2 MB
  • IMG_9485.JPG
    IMG_9485.JPG
    6 MB
  • Seagulls-2-10.JPG
    Seagulls-2-10.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_9499.JPG
    IMG_9499.JPG
    4.8 MB
Are you listing them here or are they going to local charity outlets?te administrator

Hi Paul After posting the photos I realised it could be mistaken for advertising so contacted the administrator 'Dovetail' to ask if it should be deleted'. He replied with the same message as yourself. The position is they were made for charity, will be sold locally and all proceeds will go to the RNLI. I am currently in touch with an organisation called 'LeithMakers' who expressed and interest in selling them at one of their pop-up stalls. If the post contravenes the rules of the website then please just delete it or let me know and I'll delete it. Thank you Ian A

My younger lad got his new house at the end of May so dads been kept busy the last month or so. I didn’t realise when you buy a new house that internally they only give you a very basic package, so with the bathroom they fit a basic suite but no shower or screen & minimal tiling just a row above the bath & basin anything else is extra.
As he’s only 21 & money is tight I offered to carry out any internal fit out he wanted rather than pay the builders & have to bump up his mortgage.
Top of his list were wardrobes the house has a large bulkhead so to maximise space it was decided to build a robe on top of this & a large robe opposite.
This is seven 8x4 white melamine MDF sheets cut to size & edge banded

IMG_20240614_185840352.jpeg

The construction was dominos & confirmat screws to make assembly easy as I would be putting them together on my own

This is the bulkhead wardrobe
IMG_20240708_122733474.jpeg

With push to open openers

IMG_20240708_122750467.jpeg

The large opposite robe was made to maximise the 8x4 sheets so is 1200mm wide & gave minimal wastage

IMG_20240708_122854222.jpeg

I didn’t take a photo of how the bathroom looked originally but everything was removed the toilet & bath being refitted, the walls were tiled & vinyl flooring laid after which a new shower, shower screen, towel warmer, vanity unit & basin were fitted.
IMG_20240516_174043762.jpeg

IMG_20240516_174020634.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever fitted so many blinds, curtain poles, shelves & pictures or made up flat pack furniture all in one go.
The most pleasing part was when finished the site foreman popped in to see the work I’d done & offered me a job on the spot :oops: As my son pointed out to him I haven’t got time as I’ve the front & back garden to do next 😲

Deff
My younger lad got his new house at the end of May so dads been kept busy the last month or so. I didn’t realise when you buy a new house that internally they only give you a very basic package, so with the bathroom they fit a basic suite but no shower or screen & minimal tiling just a row above the bath & basin anything else is extra.
As he’s only 21 & money is tight I offered to carry out any internal fit out he wanted rather than pay the builders & have to bump up his mortgage.
Top of his list were wardrobes the house has a large bulkhead so to maximise space it was decided to build a robe on top of this & a large robe opposite.
This is seven 8x4 white melamine MDF sheets cut to size & edge banded

View attachment 184134

The construction was dominos & confirmat screws to make assembly easy as I would be putting them together on my own

This is the bulkhead wardrobe
View attachment 184135

With push to open openers

View attachment 184136

The large opposite robe was made to maximise the 8x4 sheets so is 1200mm wide & gave minimal wastage

View attachment 184141

I didn’t take a photo of how the bathroom looked originally but everything was removed the toilet & bath being refitted, the walls were tiled & vinyl flooring laid after which a new shower, shower screen, towel warmer, vanity unit & basin were fitted.
View attachment 184142

View attachment 184139

I don’t think I’ve ever fitted so many blinds, curtain poles, shelves & pictures or made up flat pack furniture all in one go.
The most pleasing part was when finished the site foreman popped in to see the work I’d done & offered me a job on the spot :oops: As my son pointed out to him I haven’t got time as I’ve the front & back garden to do next 😲
Definitely in with a shot of dad of the year prize fingers crossed for the garden

Sets of pecking seagull automata and broods of chickens on trolleys made to sell for charity. Made from recycled wood or timber taken from locally fallen trees.
Those are really great, especially the seagulls. If there was one of those seagull ones in my place any kids would just have to get in line behind me.
Regards
John

Those are really great, especially the seagulls. If there was one of those seagull ones in my place any kids would just have to get in line behind me.
Regards
John
Hi John, Thanks for your kind comment but Australia would be an awful long way to send a lump of cherry wood. They're not hard to make so I'd say go for it and make one yourself! You've scores of fabulous colourful birds in Australia which would be great to paint and put on top. The only fiddly bit is the wirework to make them peck. All the best IanA

Last edited:
Hi IanA, There are plenty of colourful birds here and I do take great pleasure in having them around every day. The gulls here (around the east coast) are a bit smaller than back in Scotland but still as up front at stealing your chips. Tasmania has proper sized gulls very similar to the black back. With gulls it's the attitude you admire and that seems the same world wide. I have not yet got into toy making in my woodworking but who knows. Small projects are getting more attractive as the years advance.
Regards
John

Well its wood, its work and I made it, called out of my semi retirement for a friend and his family, to build a raised collar ceiling tie, hip end roof, which kept me busy last week.

Once wall plates were set, time well spent here makes life a lot easier, onto cutting the first common rafters and getting the ridge in situ:

Hip 1.jpg

Filled it in a bit and set the end common rafter to get the length of the ridge, the problem here was that the new build extension is narrower than the old part of the building so we had to raise the wall pates and move the birds mouth cuts up the rafter length so we can ultimately run the fascias and soffits the same all round.

end common.jpg

Then carry on on with the commons and the raised collar ceiling ties @ just shy of 7m long

hip 2.jpg

Once it was all set up, cut and set the Hip rafters, again these were just shy of 7m long, followed on with cutting and fixing the diminished Jack rafters:

Hip 4.jpg

The supplier forgot to send out a 6m piece of 10" X 2" for the ridge so had to go pick up 2 bits and splice them together, not a very good piccy though, but you can just see the wedges holding it together:

Splice joint.jpg

Well its wood, its work and I made it, called out of my semi retirement for a friend and his family, to build a raised collar ceiling tie, hip end roof, which kept me busy last week.

Once wall plates were set, time well spent here makes life a lot easier, onto cutting the first common rafters and getting the ridge in situ:

View attachment 184211

Filled it in a bit and set the end common rafter to get the length of the ridge, the problem here was that the new build extension is narrower than the old part of the building so we had to raise the wall pates and move the birds mouth cuts up the rafter length so we can ultimately run the fascias and soffits the same all round.

View attachment 184213

Then carry on on with the commons and the raised collar ceiling ties @ just shy of 7m long

View attachment 184214

Once it was all set up, cut and set the Hip rafters, again these were just shy of 7m long, followed on with cutting and fixing the diminished Jack rafters:

View attachment 184215

The supplier forgot to send out a 6m piece of 10" X 2" for the ridge so had to go pick up 2 bits and splice them together, not a very good piccy though, but you can just see the wedges holding it together:

View attachment 184216
Nice I wish I was with you!

Why are you rafters pointy ended rather than cut vertically?

View attachment 184211

View attachment 184213

View attachment 184214

View attachment 184215

View attachment 184216
Nice job, like the splice. I bet the the air was blue at times. LOL

Why are you rafters pointy ended rather than cut vertically?
As @JSW outlined, ping a line through and plumb cut them off, there all done now and have fitted fascias and soffits today, but that's not very interesting to see.

Nice job, like the splice. I bet the the air was blue at times.
Took me me a while to dig through the pile of timber to find we didn't have a ridge, but to be honest I enjoy this type of work, it just gets harder though, now, with climbing up a scaffold ladder and with dodgy knees, bits of me hurt I didn't know I had.

Latest posts

Back