Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some beautiful work there as always @Adam W.
Put a small 3way crotch of red Cedar on the lathe today, one of the pieces I got from the tree surgeons yard, it's from a 400yr old tree that they felled in his own garden 5 years ago, it turns very nicely and sands very easily, sanded to 320 and given a light coat of linseed oil, absolutely love the colour on this.

20230228_163950.jpg
20230228_163944.jpg
20230228_163940.jpg
20230228_163932.jpg
20230228_163911.jpg
20230228_163856.jpg

Put a small 3way crotch of red Cedar on the lathe today, one of the pieces I got from the tree surgeons yard, it's from a 400yr old tree that they felled in his own garden 5 years ago, it turns very nicely and sands very easily, sanded to 320 and given a light coat of linseed oil, absolutely love the colour on this.

View attachment 154297View attachment 154298View attachment 154299View attachment 154300View attachment 154301View attachment 154302View attachment 154303
@Stigmorgan
That's beautiful

@Stigmorgan Thank you and likewise, I'm envious of your dedication to turning.
It really is more of an addiction at this point,I'm either turning, thinking about turning or watching videos of others turning, pretty much all I think about. Almost feels like I've found the one thing I'm meant to do 🤪🤪🤪

A turning point in your life perhaps.
As much as I would love to do it all day every day I think turning it into a business would make me feel like I have to do it and that would start to ruin it for me, plus my current home is tied to my job so would have to move out and find somewhere. I'm happy to learn and improve my skills and slowly build my equipment and tools then use it as an income when I'm ready to retire 😉

As much as I would love to do it all day every day I think turning it into a business would make me feel like I have to do it and that would start to ruin it for me, plus my current home is tied to my job so would have to move out and find somewhere. I'm happy to learn and improve my skills and slowly build my equipment and tools then use it as an income when I'm ready to retire 😉
Inspirational progress in your short career amazing!!

View attachment 154297View attachment 154298View attachment 154299View attachment 154300View attachment 154301View attachment 154302View attachment 154303
Thats lovely. Better hide your shavings though, Paul is on the prowl :eek:

Fitzroy nice machine.....
It's rather a beast, it's very similar to this Grizzly one. The belt speed is very fast in my opinion (which tallies with the spec of 5000 ft/m). The lower drive wheel for the belt is a rubber covered aluminium drum, and whilst it is well balanced it is not totally circular. As a result the sanding belt tension varies as it runs, this meant it vibrated like crazy when I first got it home (from gumtree). I've improved the vibration to useable by 'turning' the drum circular using a sharp chisel with the belt off, but it's still needs more work. With the belt off it purrs and the 12" disk is awesome.

I’d been thinking of a cheap quick way to make 4mm thick MDF hearts for my son’s partner who decorates them & sells them on Etsy, so I got a friend to CNC me a template. Now all I have to do is clamp the MDF to the template & cut round with a 6mm bearing guided cutter & they are made in seconds.

C3C052E0-5955-426C-BEE9-00BA6DAE6969.jpeg

BB5CAB7F-D6CC-4364-B88C-4944BF205E9C.jpeg

Back