portable chisel storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James carter

Established Member
Reaction score
has anybody done anything interesting I could take inspiration from for their chisel storage . I've got some nice ashley isles bench chisels my partner bought me for xmass and I'd like to be able to store them safely and in a somewhat portable way . I'd like plenty of room to add to the collection as I go and prefer to have the edges covered somehow .
what are people using to store theirs ?
thought about a type of wooden knife storage block eith maybe a handle above somehow . maybe in the form of a tool tote but interested in anyone else's ideas
thanks James

Attachments

• IMG-20231110-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20231110-WA0009.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
Get a sheet of 30mm shadowfoam, lay them out top and tail, then cut in with a scalpel ?
That would be cheap and high density. It could make a bottom layer in your toolbox and by stopping the chisels from moving, the edges would be protected even though it's just foam.

You need something that's cheap to redo in case you change your tools.

thankyou both .
Iike the wooden ones but would like something easy to carry and load and unload maybe with an integrated handle . I've thought about shadow foam but that doesn't protect the cutting edge .
like the magnet idea and I'd like to include dovetails somehow as I've just picked up a woodrat and am keen to try it out

Yes, I was going to suggest a tool or knife roll of which there are many variations. As an immediate answer and test, place an old towel or teatowel on the bench, line the chisels up with a decent gap at the bottom, fold the bottom over then roll - an elastic band holds it all together. Once you have worked out the sizes and design, make your own from any suitable fabric, you can double up or reinforce the area where the blades sit and use tapes at each end to tie. If you are retired-ish like me, you can enjoy the irony of keeping tools in a roll made from an old suit you once wore to work :) Or just buy one - they don't cost much.

Cut some lengths of plastic plumbing pipe just a little longer than the blades of your chisels, so the ends are protected inside the tubes. When you throw your chisels into the bottom of your toolbag at the end of the day, just slide a tube over each blade....
As long as the toolbox isn't lots longer than the chisels, these won't slip off and won't wear out.

Yes, I was going to suggest a tool or knife roll of which there are many variations. As an immediate answer and test, place an old towel or teatowel on the bench, line the chisels up with a decent gap at the bottom, fold the bottom over then roll - an elastic band holds it all together. Once you have worked out the sizes and design, make your own from any suitable fabric, you can double up or reinforce the area where the blades sit and use tapes at each end to tie. If you are retired-ish like me, you can enjoy the irony of keeping tools in a roll made from an old suit you once wore to work :) Or just buy one - they don't cost much.
thanks would the chisel roll traditionally have been oiled or was that done after sharpening to the chisels individually do you think?

Cut some lengths of plastic plumbing pipe just a little longer than the blades of your chisels, so the ends are protected inside the tubes. When you throw your chisels into the bottom of your toolbag at the end of the day, just slide a tube over each blade....
As long as the toolbox isn't lots longer than the chisels, these won't slip off and won't wear out.
thanks this has potential I'd like to keep them in one of my dewalt tool totes ideally so maybe I could storag
Not sure if it's what @Sideways meant but I use some plastic pipe in a tool tote.

View attachment 185044
thankyou this is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about

I am not sure that you could use these ideas in a box, however these are drawers (in a cabinet under my bench) and may offer some inspiration.

Each drawer has a sliding tray. Top level ...

13.jpg

Lower level ...

Top level ...

Lower level ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
these are really impressive and the veritas chisels too .makes me feel better about spending 30quid each on a chisel .
do you have a set you take out on site if so how do you store/transport those ?

thanks would the chisel roll traditionally have been oiled or was that done after sharpening to the chisels individually do you think?
I guess if left for a long time unattended in the roll then damp may be a problem. I use a canvas roll if I have to take chisels to a job away from home but they do not live in it all the time. A wipe with an oily rag every so often is good for keeping rust away. Those of us that sharpen on an oil stone get that as a bonus.
Regards
John

these are really impressive and the veritas chisels too .makes me feel better about spending 30quid each on a chisel .
do you have a set you take out on site if so how do you store/transport those ?

James, I run workshops occasionally or teaching presentations at my local club, and am lucky enough to have set aside tools for these occasions. One day - it is my dream - my son will be interested enough in woodwork, and I will give him these boxes. The likelihood is that it will be his wife, my daughter-in-law, who will be gifted them as she is the one to builds the occasional piece of furniture for their home.

Chisels, as above ...

Marking tools ...

Dovetail saws ...

Fretsaw ...

Keep in mind that I have been a serious woodworker for over 30 years, and have been upgrading all these years. As I approach retirement, and hopefully enough years to enjoy building more furniture for family and friends, I have progressively upgraded tools and now enjoy the fruits of many years. It did not happen over night.

The Knew Concepts fretsaw above, was one of several I own (in Titanium), courtesy of the original maker, with whom I helped design and bring these saws to production for woodworkers. Story here: https://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/KnewConceptsFretsaw.html

Lots of drawers with lots of special tools ..

I have quite a number of Veritas tools, such as the mortise chisels here, courtesy of road testing tools for Lee Valley for a few decades ...

I am well aware that the "site" chisels are better than most woodworkers prized chisels. Very spoilt, I am.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
Perhaps a dartboard would be best.

TBH I dont see the point of making a super smart box to keep chisels and saws etc in. That seems more about adoration of the tools rather than using them for what they are.

Maybe put them in a glass case so you can sit and stare lovingly at them.

Latest posts

Back