Planes again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth… because I actually got it working today, here’s a few pics of a #14 hollow plane I’ve tried to design in metal. It’s been the mother of all rabbit holes, with all kinds of different designs in wood, plastic, metal across the last year. But I’m getting very close, it needs a few mods to the design and it’ll be good. But it’s been unbelievably hard to do.

IMG_5184.jpeg
IMG_5185.jpeg
IMG_5186.jpeg

Interesting approach to making a hand plane. If I understand the pictures correctly you have the ability to vary the blade angle to suit the wood being worked, at least on a flat sole plane. How is it to hold or are you going to refine that later?

Pete

Interesting approach to making a hand plane. If I understand the pictures correctly you have the ability to vary the blade angle to suit the wood being worked, at least on a flat sole plane. How is it to hold or are you going to refine that later?

Pete

I thought about that but in practice not really. A different pitch means the iron needs sharpening to a slightly different profile. Imagine a vertical iron and you’ll see what I mean.

One thing it does well is the iron beds really nicely, which was something I was concerned about.

It was more to allow tightening and loosening of a plane you don’t want to whack on a bench, and potentially to have a micro adjust advancing mechanism. It works well for tightening and loosening the blade. For a micro adjust I need to do a bit more R&D.

Cool, skeleton hollow, impressive machining :)

Obviously losing the wedge and going with any of the, many, metal plane adjuster mechanisms would be easier, but I admire the work.
It'd be a **** of a good way to test how well different wedge angles work though.

Back