Magnifying lens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
With age and deteriorating eyesight I am struggling with small work like fine soldering and small screws. What I think I need is one of those magnifiers on a stand. Looking online there are zillions to choose from, some with more arms than an octopus, some promising multi coloured led lights and so on. What I want is something simple and robust that I can plonk on the bench in front of me when I need it and move to one side when I don't, nothing to fall off or get lost, decent sized lens, easy to clean. No firm view on whether it needs built in illumination or not.

Any recommendations from people who use one?

I have a similar need Richard which I started to increasingly notice when doing inlay work. Rather than going down the fixed stand route I opted for a head vision magnifier.

Someone advised me to go for one with glass rather than plastic lenses and I bought from Cookson Gold who supply jewellers.

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewelle.../-Type=0/-Brand=0/-Font=0/&prdsearch=y&show=N

Not quite what you were asking about but I’ve found it sorted the problem for me.

I have 3 - no 1 is a small hand held model used for read part numbers In catalogues etc ,, no 2 is a stand the stand type that you describe and no 3 is a head mounted type by lightcraft. It has multiple lenses so you can adjust it to your eyesight and a removable led light ..tbh they all have their uses but I couldn’t say that any of them are better than the other.. hence why as you say there are millions to chose from but the one you described and the simplest is this
Just can’t recall the make and it’s not printed on it ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB
Couple of magnifiers with a light in them that clamp on the desk / worktop. One with a fluo, one LED.
Several hand magnifiers of various types, and a set of glass head worn magnifiers.
As already said they all have their uses. What I have found though is that I tell my optician that I do fine work, and they seem pretty good at coming up with varifocals that help.
There's no one answer TBH.

I think that’s a good point @Jacob makes - the available light in a room can make a huge difference when your eyesight is poor . I do find that I struggle in a dimly lit room even with glasses and magnifying lenses

I tried various things when I was still working on that tiny SMT stuff, best was just a pair of 4 dioptre reading glasses. The only problem was that I then couldn't read the PC screen with the schematic or PCB tracking on it, so I had to try and fix a pair of 2 strength reading glasses above them with Blutak. Looked pretty silly, but worked.
I used to have a big illuminated magnifier on an Anglepoise type arm, but it got to the point where I couldn't get the soldering iron underneath it easily.

I have a biggish 4" lens from an old overhead projector that I last used for reading the part numbers on surface mount components. I should make a stand for it.
I totally agree about the need for light. I'm a fan of Unilite rechargeable LED lights and especially their high CRI models. I use those on the desk, in the loft, in the garden, you name it.

Latest posts

Back