Oil or grease for a Wadkin BGY3 disc sander motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either. As far as I can see it should press out from either direction - but it doesn't want to budge. Maybe I'm wrong (all the Wadkin BGY manuals I've found online have no exploded parts diagram)

I’ve only rebuilt one, that was nearly eight years ago! I think there are internal collars, I know it took a lot of head scratching to work out how to get the spindle out.
I also didn’t find an exploded parts diagram of the machine.

I'll take another look, but I didn't think I could see any. The pin nuts on each end (of the outside) should be sufficient to hold it in place without internal collars; given that the spindle has a larger diameter in the middle than the bore of the bearings.

With bearings on either end of the shaft and just nuts holding the bearings to the shaft, there is nothing holding the bearings in the casting? There has to be something holding the bearings in the cast seats

Not that I can see (and no internal collars visible - just checked)

It's fair to say that those bearings sure do seem to be pressed in tight.

As far as I can work out, the bearings (dark red stripe pattern) sit against the casting (green). The diameter of the spindle (blue) is larger on the inside, so it can't pass through the bearing internal bores, and the ends of the spindle are held with threaded pin nuts (black stripe pattern) at each end.

1721059651671.png

Having removed both pin nuts I was expecting to be able to get one of the bearings out (still on the spindle) by pressing the other end of the spindle - but no joy.

I.e. I was hoping to achieve that:

1721060331070.png

Last edited:
Your logic is perfect, I do seem to recall, there was something else holding them in.

As far as I can work out, the bearings (dark red stripe pattern) sit against the casting (green).

Can you see inside the casting to verify this?

In your photo, the bearing is sunk a little inside the casting. Make washer that spans onto the casting and use the pin nut with your super-spanner to pull the spindle towards the washer.

How is the spindle driven? If there is a disk on one end and a sanding belt on the other, how does the motor transfer its rotation to the spindle?

Can you see inside the casting to verify this?

In your photo, the bearing is sunk a little inside the casting. Make washer that spans onto the casting and use the pin nut with your super-spanner to pull the spindle towards the washer.

How is the spindle driven? If there is a disk on one end and a sanding belt on the other, how does the motor transfer its rotation to the spindle?
Having managed to get a better look inside the casting, it actually looks as though the spindle (albeit wider in diameter than the external ends) is not larger than the internal bore of the bearings. I.e. in theory you may be able to push the spindle out without removing either bearing from the casting (I guess it depends on the fit tolerances of the spindle-to-bearing-inner vs the bearing-outer-to-casting).

The idea of using the pin nut to apply pressure across a washer is great (why didn't I think of that). I've got the bearings pretty clean now so I'm tempted to re-grease them and close them up, and if it doesn't run smooth then I will attempt to remove the spindle and bearings.

The spindle has a key slot near one end (inside the casting) and a corresponding pulley wheel is driven by a belt (with a motor in the bottom of the unit). It uses a Brammer belt (made up of removable links), as changing a normal v-belt would require a complete removal of the spindle.

Back