OBD scanner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
My trusty Ford has been giving some problems.

The DPF filter/sensors/regen etc

So I bought a Autel ap200 scanner to help diagnose.

It worked quite well but expired after only 3 months.

Autel UK didn't want to know and neither did Autel.com.

So I think I'll avoid that brand again.

So do you guys have a recommendation for a basic scanner that doesn't break the bank.

So do you guys have a recommendation for a basic scanner that doesn't break the bank.
You might need more than just a basic scanner if you wish to resolve the issues otherwise some of the more basic ones will just have you going round in circles.

So if you think you have found a faulty DPF sensor are you actually going to replace it yourself, one of our cars was diagnosed with a faulty EGR sensor but the actual fault was the MAF sensor and this was found using diagnostic's from two different systems and the guys experience so often just cheaper and easier to get it looked at than spending a grand on some diagnostic tool which still leaves you with the task of then actually checking and replacing components.

You might need more than just a basic scanner if you wish to resolve the issues otherwise some of the more basic ones will just have you going round in circles.

So if you think you have found a faulty DPF sensor are you actually going to replace it yourself, one of our cars was diagnosed with a faulty EGR sensor but the actual fault was the MAF sensor and this was found using diagnostic's from two different systems and the guys experience so often just cheaper and easier to get it looked at than spending a grand on some diagnostic tool which still leaves you with the task of then actually checking and replacing components.
The dpf problem is hopefully sorted, but I'm thinking ahead to the next problem, no doubt there will be one.

I understand that the tool itself in inexperienced hands is not the full answer. But my time is cheaper than a mechanic who sometimes won't want to spend time investigating and jump to a conclusion without checking every avenue.

Plus it's another toy to play with :)

I have a cheap Sealy one which has been pretty good, about £30 when I bought it quite a few years ago. Will read basic codes on anything, and enable you to reset basic stuff.
Above these you have a choice
For more detailed stuff you either need something make specific, so pre configured for Ford or BMW or whatever. That will show you stuff the regular one won't. They are maybe £100. Great if you always buy a particular make, although these often also give enhanced features on other makes as well.
I have one which is specific to Mercedes, mainly because it can connect up to their old round, pre OBD, socket as well as the later ones. This is made by icarsoft, about £150. Very good quality unit and I have been very pleased with it.
They do a big range, including all makes types.
Then you get into the ones that can get into a big range of makes with increased functionality.
These used to be very pricey, and still are if you want a very highly featured and robust one suitable for workshop use.
More recently a lot more have come out offering a broad range of make compatibility and lots of features including showing live data. These are anything from £150 upwards.
There are now so many of these that I can only say read the reviews and specs to see if it will do what you want.
Halfords sell ones from Foxwell, which get good reviews.
I have used one of their basic models and was impressed, very well made and easy to use.

Avoid Carly, which works on tablets/phones. Their subscription model is not cheap and in my experience the information/options offered are not worth it.
I use it on an old Lexus hybrid and a more modern Renault

Back