OBD scanner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
My trusty Ford has been giving some problems.

The DPF filter/sensors/regen etc

So I bought a Autel ap200 scanner to help diagnose.

It worked quite well but expired after only 3 months.

Autel UK didn't want to know and neither did Autel.com.

So I think I'll avoid that brand again.

So do you guys have a recommendation for a basic scanner that doesn't break the bank.

So do you guys have a recommendation for a basic scanner that doesn't break the bank.
You might need more than just a basic scanner if you wish to resolve the issues otherwise some of the more basic ones will just have you going round in circles.

So if you think you have found a faulty DPF sensor are you actually going to replace it yourself, one of our cars was diagnosed with a faulty EGR sensor but the actual fault was the MAF sensor and this was found using diagnostic's from two different systems and the guys experience so often just cheaper and easier to get it looked at than spending a grand on some diagnostic tool which still leaves you with the task of then actually checking and replacing components.

You might need more than just a basic scanner if you wish to resolve the issues otherwise some of the more basic ones will just have you going round in circles.

So if you think you have found a faulty DPF sensor are you actually going to replace it yourself, one of our cars was diagnosed with a faulty EGR sensor but the actual fault was the MAF sensor and this was found using diagnostic's from two different systems and the guys experience so often just cheaper and easier to get it looked at than spending a grand on some diagnostic tool which still leaves you with the task of then actually checking and replacing components.
The dpf problem is hopefully sorted, but I'm thinking ahead to the next problem, no doubt there will be one.

I understand that the tool itself in inexperienced hands is not the full answer. But my time is cheaper than a mechanic who sometimes won't want to spend time investigating and jump to a conclusion without checking every avenue.

Plus it's another toy to play with :)

Back