new tv's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
so a client's tv went bang over xmas. no big deal, everyone sells them.

yes but, i built a reasonable decent cabinet for it.

it's only a basic beech veneer box, but it has a nice video stand, and my first attempt at pocket doors. about 12-15 years later the cabinet is fine.

however it was designed for 24in old fashioned goodman.

so first problem is almost no one these days makes a 24 in item.

next is you go for a flat screen one, and it has speakers on the sides,
or at the bottom, and the screen looks wierd. then of course, all the new
stuff like hd, digital, and two or three scart sockets.
so finally you look for one with the bells and whistles, and go for a tft type with all the new stuff. it fits :lol:

ha ha bit that's the screen what you have forgotten is the stand.
no i don't mean that bloody great lump of wood or glass they try to palm you off with, i mean that the thin, flat screen tv's all have a little tripod type thing on which they stand, mainly because that's to allow the cables to be fitted.

WORRY very much, it takes up a lot of height, and so far we have not found a 26 in screen model which will fit in the old hole.

so i hope a useful piece of warning, don't really nor indeed does the client,
want to rebuild the cabinet, so have to take my tape everytime we look.

almost like getting furniture through doors.

paul :wink:

Paul,
Do you mean re-build the existing cabinet or re-build a cabinet (To fir the current hi tech screens etc.) :?:

After 15 or so years I wouldn't think it was worth touching the existing cabinet, better to build a new one. HD TV and all the associated bits and bobs are (probably) here to stay so might as well cater for them now.

ah yes the old question, but of course the problem with mdf veneered board is you could probably not re-capture the colour.

i agree these things or something like them are here to stay

for the moment, but apart from screen size, the question is
what else will change.

the dvd will replace the vhs, but is there yet a proper machine available for the householder to transfer their vhs tapes onto dvd.
then what's the next thing. the problem with sky plus is that you cannot
take it from your machine to someone elses.

will your digibox, or sky box, or skyplus get any smaller??

so who knows what i will do. it was just to warn people about the changing style of tv mounting.

I built one about two years ago,but made the top big enough to fit a wide-screen telly on if the current one packs in :-
(Because I also noticed I can't get a replacement the same size.. :lol: )

Picture.jpg

Andrew

oh of course i forgot to stay, the tv is inside the cabinet.

that's the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

mind yours looks quite good.

I worked out yours was inside - but that's why I didn't build a case for the TV (and the widest thing in the bottom is the DVD player - if it ever breaks,all the others I have seen are narrower :D )

Andrew

andy i thought you might, but since the idea of this thread was to remind people to think before commitment, i thought i had better re-iterate.

in my case the client wants the tv to be hidden which in a world of 42 inch plasma screens is refreshing :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually what this and similar things throw up is that there are no standards for cable outlets on electrical equipment.

for instance on you computer now more and more equipment has usb connections, the connectors on your cpu can be at the back, on the side, or at the front, then on your peripheral, the plugs can be at the back, on the side, or who knows where :?

then the on/off switches are all over the place. i have two laser printers one with the switch at the left hand side, the other right hand rear.
so if you design for one thing you have to allow for the future .

in the same way a tv installation has to allow for all the different bits of kit, and their cabling, which will all change when you change the items.

anyway thanks for the response.

Paul,
I think you might be pushing you luck to future proof a design to accommodate any hi-tec product for greater than the 12-15 years that you have achieved already.

Somehow I cannot imagine that today's 42" plasma tvs will last 15 years.

I thought the thing to do with these big tvs was to either build them into the chimney breast or have then rise and fall into a cabinet

Andy (who can't undertsand why anyone would want a 42" plasma screen anyway).

dedee":2k7bmaks said:
(who can't undertsand why anyone would want a 42" plasma screen anyway).

I know what you mean, so yesterday, bring on the 60" :wink: :wink:

Andy

Hi,
I would take the chance to view this as an opportunity for your client to see his way to a new cabinet.

Thinner TVs mean that they can be shown off rather than the large 26in deep monster cabinets of the past which had to hold over 100lb of monster screen + dvd boxes etc etc

A credenza,
a console like sideboard shape,
built into 9in deep bookcase on top of a few drawers,
shelves and boxes to frame the Tv screwed and biscuited to a veneered ply back panel lit from the back.
and your idea is ?

Recent article in FWW also with interesting pictures.
regards

ah in a perfect world a client might like to show off the tv,
but strangely there are still a few people who believe
that a tv is a privilege not a right, and like to hide it.

god forbid someone might talk to their family :lol: :lol: :lol:

You also have to take into account heat dissipation... my 43" plasma has a fan in it just like a PC :shock:

I was going to put it into a cabinet until I found that out... I'm still not exactly sure what I'm going to do but the one good thing is that most of the TV's connectors are actually in a seperate media box with only two thick cables linking the media box and the plasma screen... :?

Just a thought Neomorph, but how about mounting one or two 120mm PC fans in the back of the cabinet? Those larger ones make very little noise (they would probably be drowned out by the fan in the screen itself). Zantec Stealth and Nexus Real Silent fans are pretty quiet and I believe they can come with manual speed controllers or even built-in thermal controllers these days.
You would just need to get a 12v dc supply to them from somewhere.

V.

Latest posts

Back