New Timber Gate treatment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H Singh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently had new Timber gates installed. I know that some parts of the gate are untreated.

I wanted to get your expertise as to what I should treat it with? I am seeing different variations of timber treatment i.e. wood preserver and wood liquid ( which is waterproof) and I am unsure what to use first.

Just to note - I do plan on painting the fence with waterproof paint once treated although this may a week or two after I treat it, depending on the weather.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

H
IMG_20240912_112545.jpg

Interesting. As you say, you have a pair of gates made with a mixture of tanalised parts (the softwood framing), and standard construction grade (i.e., not tanalised) softwood T&G boarding.

If I was tasked with having to paint the gates I'd probably go for something from Sadolin. Wickes as linked to is one source. Whilst at Wickes, do a search for Barretine wood preserver (or similar) to apply to the untreated boarding prior to painting. Alternative decent paints are available, but most other options involve things like a primer and/or base coat plus a top coat, although you'll have a greater range of colours you could choose from. One advantage of the Sadolin products, apart from being pretty effective and relatively easy to maintain is that the product is its own base coat. To do a decent paint job, whatever paint you choose, will require removal of the gates from the hanging posts and taking off all the hardware before applying the paint.

I personally wouldn't bother painting the fence because that's larch lap and reasonably durable as it is. Once you start painting things like that it's a never ending job to keep the fence tidy looking because most of the fence paints tend to become shabby looking quite quickly. But as long as you're aware of that and happy to do the maintenance, that's fine. Slainte.

Interesting. As you say, you have a pair of gates made with a mixture of tanalised parts (the softwood framing), and standard construction grade (i.e., not tanalised) softwood T&G boarding.

If I was tasked with having to paint the gates I'd probably go for something from Sadolin. Wickes as linked to is one source. Whilst at Wickes, do a search for Barretine wood preserver (or similar) to apply to the untreated boarding prior to painting. Alternative decent paints are available, but most other options involve things like a primer and/or base coat plus a top coat, although you'll have a greater range of colours you could choose from. One advantage of the Sadolin products, apart from being pretty effective and relatively easy to maintain is that the product is its own base coat. To do a decent paint job, whatever paint you choose, will require removal of the gates from the hanging posts and taking off all the hardware before applying the paint.

I personally wouldn't bother painting the fence because that's larch lap and reasonably durable as it is. Once you start painting things like that it's a never ending job to keep the fence tidy looking because most of the fence paints tend to become shabby looking quite quickly. But as long as you're aware of that and happy to do the maintenance, that's fine. Slainte.

Thanks so much for your advice. If I was to avoid painting given the potential maintenance it would require going forward could I just use the barrentine wood preserver and leave as is? Thanks again.

Just a warning here that type of timber is not exterior tanalised . It's treated to prevent insect attack in interiors us like roofs and stables. So preservative is a good call. It looks a neat job as well. Some gate makers tantaalise the whole thing after manufacture. I'm guessing they have to allow it to dry before assembly(they pin it with a coil nailer)

Just a warning here that type of timber is not exterior tanalised .
That may be the case. H Singh did actually state some parts were "untreated", and I mistakenly assumed the green coloured framing was tanalised rather than just treated.

But going back to his supplementary question about Barretine's Wood Preserver (rather than the Universal Wood Preserver) which would be a reasonable choice if it's not to be painted over because it can be reapplied from time to time. The Universal Wood Preserver provides for painting over, although I don't think that has to happen. Slainte.

I think that's class 2 so interior. Class 3 is good for gates and class 4 for posts. But not all treatments are created equal!. Especially in class 3.

I’d use sika 5 star complete covers most scenarios and can be overpainted. A minimum of 2 coats with if I recall an hour between each coat . This can also be applied to damp timber so useful for this time of the year. I,d also consider creosote ( the equivalent) but this can’t be overpainted ( as far as I know)

In the past I used cuprinol wood preserver before painting a gate. It was still going strong when I sold the property 10-11 years later.
I’ve coated my shed in Ronseal wood preserver, which seems to be a similar product, although there’s no comment on the tin as to whether it can be overpainted eventually.

Latest posts

Back