New Joiner - Simple In-Built Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richini

Reaction score
Thanks for accepting my request to join.

I’ve joined mainly to soak up information from some of the amazing talent on here. I’ve been browsing old posts for a while and absolutely amazed at the standard of the work being produced. I’m primarily interested in making fitted furniture for my own home, wardrobes, shelves, cabinets etc. I’ve long been interested in woodwork but always been put off by my lack of knowledge and skill … making a perfectly straight cut is still something which eludes me, but seems the simplest of skills. Having read a load of posts on here and of course watched some great Peter Millard tutorials I’m keen to give wood work a good go.

My first project is to shelf out an existing wardrobe. It’s brick on three sides with sliding doors to the front and one high shelf at the moment. My plan is to turn it into something like below:

Screenshot 2024-06-24 003514.png

I’m definitely going to start saving for a plunge track saw but thinking for this project I might go the Cutwright route for this one.

Material wise I’m thinking 18mm birch ply with front edges edge banded? Does this seem sensible?

Are there any recommendations for how to make the portioned shelves? The method laid out in Peter Mallard’s video no router dado rail seems a simple approach for me to follow with limited tools or can places like Cutwright cut a dado in already or better alternatives?

Is it best to make this as three separate carcases or is there an alternative to share the vertical uprights? I could be loosing 72mm+ of wardrobe width using 18mm ply and separate carcases.

As the sides and back are brick wall, should a be looking to save wood an just supporting the shelves here with small sections of wood under each shelf rather than a full length of wood?

I’m sure there’s a load more questions to follow, but thanks in advance already for so far, hope my questions make sense.

Back