New file handles and how to treat?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I don't mean taking them out for an ice cream more along the lines of how to treat /blo/just let get dirty/wax/varnish?
I've been given a few white (sparkly white handles) the ferrules are steel? with a modicum of rust that needs a good removal, I'm not at all precious about such things but before I just give them a wipe over with BLO is there a better approach?

BLO is all I have ever used if I go that far. Most files I have seen in working environments the handles had no finish at all. They soon develop a patina. That's popular these days.:)
Dont think there is any rule for this so whatever you like really.
Regards
John

Its not so much a finish its more not having instant dirt and a bit greasy on new handles and yes they as others will get the normal patina as Orraloon says ---- so I will go with a wipe of BLO as a base before getting proper used.

If you expect your file handles to remain clean, you're not using them for filing . . .

If you're actually doing serioius filing, you buy the bare files, and have a stock of ratty wooden handles to use when appropriate.

Back