Near catastrophe with control panel failure on Hyundai Kona Car!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t understand why just because the alternator ( in effect) failed the whole car cut out, I would have thought that you would have had a little time to drive it using the battery to power the other functions.
It did though obviously, those "smart" motorways are anything but clever and I hate the thought of breaking down on one.
Perhaps it's has electric power steering that needs 15v rather than 12v??

Thanks for reading my post Roy, and for your comments.

Really, I'm not 'lucky' that it's under warranty - the comprehensive five-year warranty was a key reason why I bought the car (in the hope of course that I wouldn't need it, as I didn't with my previous Hyundai). I think we were exceedingly unlucky to have had this rather traumatic event, but yes, lucky to have come out of it unscathed.

As you'll note from my letter to the local Business Manager, the tone wasn't a complaint or a rant - more an expression of concern that there was no indication from the Service Department of anything other than 'it's on back order'. My letter to the manager wasn't asking him to 'pull a rabbit out of a hat' - it was seeking his observations, and an update as to when my car might be roadworthy again.

I would have hoped that by now that he'd have looked into the supply chain issue, and contacted me with an update, and to at least show some empathy. After all, hopefully this is an isolated instance which - within a week -he could either have responded to, or delegate someone else to do so. I don't think that is an unrealistic expectation - just common courtesy and good business sense. (They've got my address, email, home and mobile phone numbers).

At this stage, I feel more than a little underwhelmed.
I imagine you’ve seen this but if not (from govt website):

Report a serious safety defect​

If you find a serious defect that affects the safety of your vehicle, one of its parts, or an accessory, report it to the manufacturer immediately.
Tell the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you’re not happy with how the manufacturer is dealing with your report.
DVSA will:
  • investigate the issue with the manufacturer
  • tell you what action is being taken
The vehicle, part or accessory can be recalled if it’s found to be a serious safety issue.

What counts as a serious safety defect​

A serious safety defect is something:
  • about the way the vehicle is designed or made that’s likely to cause injury or death
  • that happens suddenly and without warning

Thanks for that information.

I hadn't seen it.

As stated, I reported the incident in writing to the President of Hyundai UK, and know that the letter has been delivered as I checked the tracking and it's been signed for, just as has the letter I sent to the local Hyundai dealer. So far, not a peep out of them, which is disappointing, surprising, and somewhat concerning.

Really, it's not simply the total loss of function of the car which presents a danger, it's when and where it might happen. EG, could be at night, could be on a 'smart motorway' ,which makes death or serious injury more of a probability than a possibility. (This of course applies to all makes and models, and could simply be a flat tyre).

Quote:

"Deaths on smart motorways have hit a record high, analysis by the Sunday Times has revealed, in call to scrap ‘All Lane Running’".

According to data from the national road accidents database, there were 24 deaths on smart motorways during 2022 - the last year for which full figures are available. There were also 12 deaths in the first half of last year according to the provisional data. This compares with 15 deaths on smart motorways in 2021, based on figures from National Highways.

Of the 24 deaths in 2022, 14 were on motorways without a hard shoulder. These 'all lane running' schemes (ALR) are one of three types of smart motorway, so called because they have technology to smooth out traffic flow and detect incidents.

End quote.

https://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/...ta from the,according to the provisional data

I don't want to over-dramatise this.

As I said at the outset, focusing on what did happen, rather than speculating on what might have happened, thanks to Hyundai Breakdown Assistance and the AA patrolman who arrived in minutes and took us all the way home, 80 miles away, and arranged for a loan car, it was a far better outcome than we could have expected. What a great ambassador for the AA.

David.

Main dealers are not magicians, they do get vehicles that they cannot repair and you need to physically visit and demand explanations. You are lucky it is under warranty because if they cannot fix your car within a reasonable timeframe then they will have to replace as a buyback which is no loss to them except reputation.
I've been retired 15 years, and from my experience in the motor trade, Kias & some Fords fall in that category. I had a customer with a simple 1.3 Fiesta, which would just cut out. Despite the efforts of two main dealers in neighbouring counties, running the car about for days, none could get the car to show any fault. A neighbour has a Ford Kuga, which expired, & was sitting on his drive for several weeks. He had several guys try to start it, & many more who wouldn't even consider trying. About 4 weeks it was loaded on a recovery truck & taken away - he's still waiting to hear back!

A major issue is the diagnostic's which on cars can be a guide but often comes up with a fault rather than an actual component failure. The other problem is that you do not know the strategy within the module, in other words how inputs are used to control the outputs so something like a MAF sensor producing an incorrect value might cause an EGR error so an experienced technician would check the MAF output before changing the EGR unit which on a Skodi Yeti is over £400 inc fittings & gaskets, with a large amount of labour. Then with an aftermarket part not being accepted by the module as we had out of range issues it had to be changed for a more expensive OEM part.

A major issue is the diagnostic's which on cars can be a guide but often comes up with a fault rather than an actual component failure. The other problem is that you do not know the strategy within the module, in other words how inputs are used to control the outputs so something like a MAF sensor producing an incorrect value might cause an EGR error so an experienced technician would check the MAF output before changing the EGR unit which on a Skodi Yeti is over £400 inc fittings & gaskets, with a large amount of labour. Then with an aftermarket part not being accepted by the module as we had out of range issues it had to be changed for a more expensive OEM part.
This is true ! I recently had a fault appear on my Honda HR-V, reading E/P fault. The manual stated a fault with the electronic parking brake. Several times it put the car into ‘limp mode’, once as I was pulling out onto a rather large, busy roundabout. A quick search online revealed that the E/P fault was a red herring and to check the air inlet hose, as it’s probably split. Lo and behold, it was. £95 later ( the hose could only be sourced from Honda ) it’s fixed !
If I wasn’t of the mind to see if I can fix it myself, then no doubt I would have been lumbered with a far larger parts and repair bill and been without the car for days.

Thanks for that information.

I hadn't seen it.

As stated, I reported the incident in writing to the President of Hyundai UK, and know that the letter has been delivered as I checked the tracking and it's been signed for, just as has the letter I sent to the local Hyundai dealer. So far, not a peep out of them, which is disappointing, surprising, and somewhat concerning.

Really, it's not simply the total loss of function of the car which presents a danger, it's when and where it might happen. EG, could be at night, could be on a 'smart motorway' ,which makes death or serious injury more of a probability than a possibility. (This of course applies to all makes and models, and could simply be a flat tyre).

Quote:

"Deaths on smart motorways have hit a record high, analysis by the Sunday Times has revealed, in call to scrap ‘All Lane Running’".

According to data from the national road accidents database, there were 24 deaths on smart motorways during 2022 - the last year for which full figures are available. There were also 12 deaths in the first half of last year according to the provisional data. This compares with 15 deaths on smart motorways in 2021, based on figures from National Highways.

Of the 24 deaths in 2022, 14 were on motorways without a hard shoulder. These 'all lane running' schemes (ALR) are one of three types of smart motorway, so called because they have technology to smooth out traffic flow and detect incidents.

End quote.

https://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/Call-to-scrap-All-Lane-Running-as-smart-motorway-deaths-rise/13861#:~:text=According to data from the,according to the provisional data

I don't want to over-dramatise this.

As I said at the outset, focusing on what did happen, rather than speculating on what might have happened, thanks to Hyundai Breakdown Assistance and the AA patrolman who arrived in minutes and took us all the way home, 80 miles away, and arranged for a loan car, it was a far better outcome than we could have expected. What a great ambassador for the AA.

David.
I would still log it with the DVSA. it was a dangerous incident and the only way the DVSA know about the prevalence of such things is if they are told.

it was. £95 later ( the hose could only be sourced from Honda )
A lot of parts that are not classed as serviceable items will be main dealer only because there is not enough turnover for the aftermarket parts companies to warrant making them. I needed a power steering cooler for a Honda CRV, it is nothing more than a small ubend of metal pipe that sits in front of the aircon rad, no more than 6 inches long and £100 .

A lot of parts that are not classed as serviceable items will be main dealer only because there is not enough turnover for the aftermarket parts companies to warrant making them. I needed a power steering cooler for a Honda CRV, it is nothing more than a small ubend of metal pipe that sits in front of the aircon rad, no more than 6 inches long and £100 .
£1-00 for the pipe & £99 for the 'skill' of bending it! ;)

There would be no skill required, put pipe in against stop and push button, easily make hundreds every day.
I did have me tongue firmly in cheek!
Like the old one ; £51 to hit it wiv a 'nammer to get it working - £1 for doing it & £50 for knowing where to! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back