Money for old shavings...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hipsters take up camping and folks take them for a ride
No harm done.

I am very careful to clean my lathe before working with oak as the chips are in considerable demand
A big bag of oak chip waste is a very decent swap for a couple of smoked trout :lol:

I like the way the tin says " the natural way to start a fire " and then the description says treated wood shavings, with what petrol? :D

lurker":3f8n82pv said:
Hipsters take up camping and folks take them for a ride
No harm done.

Amusing isn't it. I presume this is to go with your fancy fire steel. Why that is better than a box of matches or a disposable lighter, I don't know. If you really want to do it all naturally, you need to make a fire drill.

nearly as lucrative as the guy selling used shotgun shells for a quid a time.

wow. just wow.
guess you have to do something with your shavings and old air pellet tins.

think I'll stick with my char cloth and fire piston. both cost so much money I couldn't put value on them (or free as it's better known). having said that, usually I use a lighter, I don't need to pretend I live in a backwards country to feel like I'm roughing it.

lurker":1vkgct5o said:
I am very careful to clean my lathe before working with oak as the chips are in considerable demand
A big bag of oak chip waste is a very decent swap for a couple of smoked trout :lol:

My chippy mate gave me a lurvely bin liner of oak sawdust when I asked, which goes
in my old-stainless-steel-stockpot + microwave-grill-rack = stove-top-smoker.

Total cost £1.50 :D

(note to the curious; a stove top smoker is a "hot smoker", which cooks and smokes at the
same time, probably in under 30 mins. If you want "classic" 12 hour smoked fillets
of salmon etc, you need a "cold smoker", which is not a kitchen item)

BugBear

Doesn't that stink the kitchen out BB?
I can't see me being allowed to do that in her majesty's domain

thetyreman":3uh2iucc said:
this is crazy, amazing how far people will go to make money.

Not at all!
It might be crazy buying them however.

Does anyone remember Harry enfields "I saw you coming" shop?
These days they are everywhere and not a hint of irony to be seen.

They are selling an idea that's all. It's the idea for the type who watches a bit of Ray Mears on the sofa and likes the idea of being 'at one' with the wild. Read a coupla days of wildcamping ( :D ) somewhere in the uk. Probably with a 700 quid tent and a 400 quid sleeping bag that could survive a whiteout on the North face of the Eiger. Very handy in the New Forest. Them ponies are a bit frisky. All the gear, no idea. Your man buys the tin, makes a fire, no lighter fer gawds sake! You use a Bear Grylls patented fire strike come bear repellant with axe attachment (costs extra) brews a curry in a foil bag on his Trangia. Sleeps outside. Looks at the stars. When the weekend is over he chucks his gear in the back of his Audi and goes back to work as a mid level Retail Manager.
I'm not as derisive as I might sound tbh. At least your man is looking at the stars once in a while. We're all suckers for something. First to admit it. :D

lurker":r00aekv5 said:
Doesn't that stink the kitchen out BB?
I can't see me being allowed to do that in her majesty's domain

Surprinslgy no - you put a tinfoil seal around the lid (standard slow cooking trick)
and keep the heat very, very low.

Almost no smoke escapes - a single open window clears it 100%; there's a smell, but it's oak smoke; it's lovely!

BugBear

I've been keeping the oak from the drop bin for using on the bbq smoker box, works great considering the equivalent from the garden centre is like £7.99 for 250g or something stupid.

YorkshireMartin":c2hyo491 said:
sunnybob":c2hyo491 said:
nearly as lucrative as the guy selling used shotgun shells for a quid a time.

?? what, where? lol

He takes the old shotgun shells from a gun club (which will happily give away a truckload for free as they have no scrap value), cuts off the folded end, and sells them as wheel nut embellishments.
you can find him on the bay.

Full marks for the idea. Sad I havent got the energy to do it myself. My very small club alone throws away around 50,000 a year.

That smoker idea works well, I have done similar using an old wok and a grill rack. I didn't risk it indoors, used a camping stove and smoked it outside.

Back