Best wood filler for larger knots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb94

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been rough sawing a load of beech for the bars of the crib I’m making, a few have these large knots: some have a semi-loose part in the middle and others that are gouged out. (Sorry for bad description)

I intend to thickness plane the bars but I don’t think it’ll be enough to remove the depth of some of these knots.

What would you recommend as the best way to fill / stabilise these knots?

Black epoxy? Standard brown wood filler?

I want it to look nice and leave options open for available finishes as I’m not sure what finish to go for yet.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5212.jpeg
    IMG_5212.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 0
Firstly, use a clear epoxy and the natural colour will come through. Secondly, unless you're going to use an epoxy finish for the whole crib, it's not worth buying it in bottled quantities as it has a comparatively short shelf life. I would buy a few tubes of cheap Poundland glue. Use just enough to stabilise the loose tang for final planing and then overfill any remaining defects. Sand/scrape off the excess to finish.
Br

Firstly, use a clear epoxy and the natural colour will come through. Secondly, unless you're going to use an epoxy finish for the whole crib, it's not worth buying it in bottled quantities as it has a comparatively short shelf life. I would buy a few tubes of cheap Poundland glue. Use just enough to stabilise the loose tang for final planing and then overfill any remaining defects. Sand/scrape off the excess to finish.
Br
Thanks,

Just to clarify - a two part epoxy like araldite (or own brand equivalent)?

And any finishes I should avoid if I use this?

Br
Fibreglass resin works well. Lets the natural colour through, is sandable

Thanks for the replies.
I’ve sorted though my offcut pile and I think there’s just about enough spare pieces of cherry to do some contrasting bars out of that to complement the beech (framework is cherry)

I’ve gone off the idea of filing these knots now, I don’t think it’ll give me the look I want. I guess I could also route out the knots and do a patch repair with a scrap piece of beech but might be more effort than it’s worth

Latest posts

Back