MFT-style vs. Trad-style workbench design (is there a middle ground??)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Andy that could be a good shout. And maybe something I could retro-fit. I am fortunate though in that I have access to another workshop space where there is a decent through draft to take care of any lingering dust.

I honestly don’t know how people back in the day could work without a mask 🤷‍♂️
They often died young with lung problems. My Grandfather did.

Yes it’s meant to be like that, makes up for the natural inclination of the jaw to bend outwards under pressure.
Looking good btw. Are you fitting a planing stop in the gap between tops? Very handy when planing panels etc. Have a look at the Mike Siemsen vid a viceless bench. Highly recommend to all.
Ian

For some time I've had to work in one of 2 workshops (som 100 miles apart!). In one I have a proper carpenters bench (2 9" work areas with a central 12' wide, 2" deep well made out of 9x2" timbers on 6X4" legs. It's over 8' long with 2 vices on the working face. In the other workshop I've used a workbench made out of a 6' offcut of kitchen worktop but drilled like a MFT.

I can see the benefits of both but I much prefer the carpenters bench over the MFT style as there is little 'mass' in it. I find the MFT style is just lite weight for chopping out, using dovetail & similar jigs or hand planing. In the near future I know I'm going to have to replace both when we move (one job is coming to an end and the other workshop has been compulsory purchased).

My plan is to build a trad style workbench and had a drop on MFT work top for when that is needed.

TBH I've never seen the point of so-called MTF benches.
Have peered at a few youtubes but still mystified. Seems to be a gadgetised fashion item more than anything.
Is there something particularly useful about them? Am I missing something?

Sounds like you are where I once was. Once upon a time I also could not see the point in drilling loads of 20mm holes in my worktop so things could fall through and a length of wood fixed at the back served as a stop for most task. Looking into these more you soon find the origin is part of the Festool system of " anyone can do anything with wood " philosopy just by buying into Festool but it is not essential because anything they can do has already been done by skilled woodworkers and there is a clue. The MFT bench and a tracksaw allows anyone to easily cut sheet into square panels without having to overthink it and with other festool products like the Domino 500 you can make all sorts of stuff fairly easily.

My plan is to build a trad style workbench and had a drop on MFT work top for when that is needed.
For me you do not need a massive solid workbench unless you are into the more traditional woodworking of big mallets and chissels but the idea of having an MFT that sits onto a bench is how I have gone because nothing falls through and is only there when you want it, a I also have an MFT apron on my bench that helps with corners. I combine the 20mm holes with the microjig system of slots so I have something that helps alignment and also with clamping but anything you can do with an MFT can equally be done without one, some find it helpful and others not so but it also depends on your woodworking style. I would say it is definitely aimed more at the MFT market than more traditional panel and frame construction but at the same time I find it helps with some woodworking skills shortages.

Sounds like you are where I once was. Once upon a time I also could not see the point in drilling loads of 20mm holes in my worktop so things could fall through and a length of wood fixed at the back served as a stop for most task. Looking into these more you soon find the origin is part of the Festool system of " anyone can do anything with wood " philosopy just by buying into Festool but it is not essential because anything they can do has already been done by skilled woodworkers and there is a clue. The MFT bench and a tracksaw allows anyone to easily cut sheet into square panels without having to overthink it and with other festool products like the Domino 500 you can make all sorts of stuff fairly easily.

For me you do not need a massive solid workbench unless you are into the more traditional woodworking of big mallets and chissels but the idea of having an MFT that sits onto a bench is how I have gone because nothing falls through and is only there when you want it, a I also have an MFT apron on my bench that helps with corners. I combine the 20mm holes with the microjig system of slots so I have something that helps alignment and also with clamping but anything you can do with an MFT can equally be done without one, some find it helpful and others not so but it also depends on your woodworking style. I would say it is definitely aimed more at the MFT market than more traditional panel and frame construction but at the same time I find it helps with some woodworking skills shortages.
Do you have any pictures you can share of this?

I can see the benefits of both but I much prefer the carpenters bench over the MFT style as there is little 'mass' in it. I find the MFT style is just lite weight for chopping out, using dovetail & similar jigs or hand planing. In the near future I know I'm going to have to replace both when we move (one job is coming to an end and the other workshop has been compulsory purchased).

its possible to do the MFT top without sacrificing the mass, the desk im typing this on right now has a solid ~40mm thick walnut top on it that was final flattened by hand plane on top of the bench below, and never moved or flexed.

ive also built multiple speaker boxes for myself and others on this and the MFT greatly simplified the operation. have moxon vice, planing stops etc that fit to the bench. ive yet to find something that i haven't been able to do.

i fully expect criticism and that it wouldn't work for all. but you build the bench that works for you. i know some like to share views on what the right way of doing things is, but having a method that works for you is more important.
20230521_154907.jpg
20230521_154718.jpg

So it's for sheet material and Festool kit?

So it's for sheet material and Festool kit?
That is certainly it's origins, look at @Peter millards videos and he builds lots of MDF furniture on an MFT with a domino. But you can also use the 20mm dogs for many other roles, I found them more useful once I added the Microjig slots for clamping though and now use them on my woodrat and for alignment to keep things square on assembly but tend to do most cutting of sheet goods with a tracksaw on saw horses using a rail square to assist.

Yeah track saw and rail the entry point for cutting up sheet goods.

Then add MFT if you want to add speed and convenience to right angles cutting or right angled assembly.

A hinge and fence with stop block and / or measurements would be next on the list which gives more speed and convenience.

An alternative for stage 2 would be a rail square as it's highly unlikely your MFT will be big enough for full sheets and a rail square gives similar right angled cutting functionality to the MFT plus dogs or the MFT plus hinge

You do less marking with MFT type setups, it's more about jumping direct to the cutting and at same time you get deadly accuracy.

Not for everybody, much like the evolution of any technology - there are alternatives that will get the job done slightly less efficiently / effectively.

Latest posts

Back