M-Sure remote digital readout issue.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 200mm M-Sure horizontal scale and then just bought the M-Sure remote readout. I also bought a 5-pin Mini USB to connect them. The 200mm scale works fine, but when connected to it (and even when it's connected to nothing) the remote readout just registers a series of 8s, as in the photo. I've tried the remote with new batteries and it's exactly the same, attached to the 200mm scale or unattached. I've tried pressing and holding buttons, and nothing happens - it doesn't even seem to switch off.

Am I overlooking something or is it just DoA?

Thanks for any thoughts, Chris

IMG_20240602_181819_edit_65231437935876.jpg

Did you ever sort this out?
I have several M Sure remote head dro's, the type with no reader on the actual scale.
Only time I have seen similar behaviour is when the batteries are on the way out, and I did have one that did it straight out of the box, with the battery that came with it. New battery and everything ok.

Also check the cable, some only have the wires for use as a charger, can't recall what the pin out is now. Just check continuity between the terminals at either end, will soon tell you if all are actually connected.

Did you ever sort this out?
I have several M Sure remote head dro's, the type with no reader on the actual scale.
Only time I have seen similar behaviour is when the batteries are on the way out, and I did have one that did it straight out of the box, with the battery that came with it. New battery and everything ok.
I did, sort of - it turns out I bought the wrong one! The correct ones are not in stock til November apparently, so I'm trying to decide whether to wait or just buy one of the cheaper aluminium digital scales with the remote head included. It's for our lathe's cross slide, so I'd assume ally vs stainless makes little difference?

Mine are aluminium. Fitted to the tailstock of a couple of lathes and had no problem with them. As I said mine are the type with no reader on the scale, just a lead that you plug into the remote head. Only problem I can see using them on the cross slide would be how to stop them getting covered in chips etc. All my machines have glass scales with covers for that reason. If space is limited you can buy small profile scales from loads of places, I got mine from Warco. Bit more expensive than the big chunky ones but quite a lot slimmer. I guess it's not what you are doing, but if in the future you use multiple scales with a common head by far the cheapest are Chinese. They usually come as a set with the big chunky scales. The heads may not read the slim scales as the pin configuration in the plug can be different. Both types of scale come with information as to how the plug is configured, so quite easy in my case to change the pin positions in the Warco scale so it can be read by the head. Only fault I could find with my cheap Chinese set was that the plugs on the scale leads were plastic. Easy to change them for metal ones. Otherwise it hasn't missed a beat.

Mine are aluminium. Fitted to the tailstock of a couple of lathes and had no problem with them. As I said mine are the type with no reader on the scale, just a lead that you plug into the remote head. Only problem I can see using them on the cross slide would be how to stop them getting covered in chips etc. All my machines have glass scales with covers for that reason. If space is limited you can buy small profile scales from loads of places, I got mine from Warco. Bit more expensive than the big chunky ones but quite a lot slimmer. I guess it's not what you are doing, but if in the future you use multiple scales with a common head by far the cheapest are Chinese. They usually come as a set with the big chunky scales. The heads may not read the slim scales as the pin configuration in the plug can be different. Both types of scale come with information as to how the plug is configured, so quite easy in my case to change the pin positions in the Warco scale so it can be read by the head. Only fault I could find with my cheap Chinese set was that the plugs on the scale leads were plastic. Easy to change them for metal ones. Otherwise it hasn't missed a beat.
Thanks Fergie, that's really helpful. You're right, space seems to be the issue with the cross slide, I was thinking to make a cover from thicker plastic sheet as there's not room for an ally cover to attach. We'll keep trying to decide what best to do, for the moment we're fine with a dial indicator, and have a 'modified' digital calliper on the tailstock for drilling depths etc.
Cheers, Chris

Back