Lyndhurst 3hp dust extractor review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slemishwoodcrafts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know how of a review you can do on an extractor but anyway here goes!!

I bought it about 2 months ago, after seeking advice on here and have to say I'm very pleased with it. I had to put it in the loft above my workshop because it would have been vry cramped otherwise!! It is connected up to my ducted system which is all 6" piping and boy does it suck! :D Previous to this all I had was a Record RSDE1 which I attempted to use with the 10" planer. Whilst it kept it from clogging up, there was still a lot of chips flying about. Now it's virtually chip free which makes a huge difference.

The tablesaw which never had any extraction before now has it above and below. I have the modified guard, which I built last year for my school coursework and I am very pleased with how it performs. I need to redesign the extraction on the bottom but otherwise it's a big improvement.

The lathe again, never had any extraction and its nice to turn a bowl, spindle or pen and see all the chips disappear up the pipe (as well as the jar of danish oil you were using!! don't ask :oops: )

The drill press and mitre saw are both collected for now and again it is a huge difference. The bandsaw also has proper extraction and the difference is awesome.

So to sum it all up, I'm very pleased with the extractor. It moves an awesome amount of air and I would happily recommend it to anyone. The only problem I've had so far is attaching the bags to it. It seems impossible to do on my own!!

here are some pics of the extractor and my set-u-!! :D

DSCF6252.jpg

The extractor located above the workshop. The filters I got off ebay. I think it was DaveL who gave me the link??

DSCF6255.jpg

DSCF6256.jpg

DSCF6257.jpg

DSCF6258.jpg

the blast are just pine and mdf. Made in a couple of hours and much cheaper than buying commercially.

DSCF6259.jpg

Regards,

Michael

Michael
Thanks for the review! Arew they the original air filters or have you modified it?
And as for fitting the bags, I use bits of gaffer tape to hold the bag in place before attempting the metal strap :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Michael said
The filters I got off ebay. I think it was DaveL who gave me the link??

Couldn't resist Philly :D I just happened to be looking at this because this seems incredibly good value and may make a permanent install for my workshop. I will build a small lean to outside though to save space and avoid the filters.

Cheers Alan

Hi,

Nice set up!

Attaching the bags is a knack, but a couple of bits of masking tape help a lot.

Pete

thanks for the review. having the extractor outside the shop is very desirable. Do you intend on always running the extractor whilst turning? Wouldn't you be constantly emptying it?

slemishwoodcrafts":mxdacntg said:
It is connected up to my ducted system which is all 6" piping and boy does it suck! :D
Oh 6" pipe work :mrgreen: I only have 4" and the blower is only 1HP :mrgreen:
Well done you have a very good setup, :D glad you found the filters on ebay OK, how have you fixed them to the metal work?

DaveL":q7vgbjun said:
slemishwoodcrafts":q7vgbjun said:
It is connected up to my ducted system which is all 6" piping and boy does it suck! :D
Oh 6" pipe work :mrgreen: I only have 4" and the blower is only 1HP :mrgreen:
Well done you have a very good setup, :D glad you found the filters on ebay OK, how have you fixed them to the metal work?

Hi Dave,

Yep, found the link ok but they ahd gone up in price since I first saw them. They were £63 each i think. I must admit I was a bit heath robinson in attaching the filters!! I made four rings out of MDF, 2 big ones that fitted into the extractor and 2 smaller ones which covered the top of the filters. I put silicone round the metal before placing the mdf on top and finally secured with four woodscrews!!! :p The bigger rings are secured to the extractor with screws also and a bead of silicone ran around the edges.

I don't really generate a lot of shavings when turning wizer, I made a bowl recently think it was 9x4 or so and that would be about as big as I can do.Most of my shavings come from the 10" planer.

The motor is quiet compared to my RSDE1 but seeing as it's located outside the noise is a bit less than if it were in the shop.

The filters are really good for the money, they filter down to 0.5 micron and I think have a filter area of 20m2 per filter.

If you want any more pics or info just ask I'll be more than happy to assist!

Regards,

Michael

Looks nice, I must do something about my dust problem.

BTW changing a dust extractor bag is easier if you put in another black bag inside the supplied bag, I use selotape to hold the bag temporary in position before fastening the outer bag on.

Good review, thanks for that. :) I also like your own 'shop-made blast gates and that you have your extractor situated in the space above you - great idea, I've been thinking of doing that myself. It must save a lot of space. :wink:

Could you possibly give me the inside/outside diameters of these cartridge filters please? I only ask as I have an Axminster ADE1200 machine that I like to use with my bandsaw but, I've been unable to find a cartridge filter that will fit.

Hi OPJ,

Yea, I'll measure them up for you, I can't quite remember the dimensions. It might be a day or two because I did the old hamstring playing football, so I'm out of action at the minute!!

Regards,

Michael

I also bought the same one a few weeks ago, although I have set it up with the supplied 5 micron cotton bags. That said, I am curious to know why you replaced those with cartridges since yours can filter only down to 5 micron. Aside from being able to go down to 1 micron filering, what would be the advantage of switching from bags to cartridges?

Also, how do you switch it on, being in a different room? It's go one of those annoying yellow flip-up case switch but I'm not sure if it's no-load protection switch. Don't think that wold make much sense on a dust collector.

Thanks,
David

LeChuck":3n587vat said:
I also bought the same one a few weeks ago, although I have set it up with the supplied 5 micron cotton bags. That said, I am curious to know why you replaced those with cartridges since yours can filter only down to 5 micron. Aside from being able to go down to 1 micron filering, what would be the advantage of switching from bags to cartridges?

Also, how do you switch it on, being in a different room? It's go one of those annoying yellow flip-up case switch but I'm not sure if it's no-load protection switch. Don't think that wold make much sense on a dust collector.

Thanks,
David

I swapped the filters to the fine cartridges for 2 reasons:

1) The extractor although being in a different room, the room is still used as a gym and therefore I could not pump out fine dust all over the gym equipment and also when exercising the dust could rise and not very good for you when running!!!

2) secondly the cartridges offer a much larger filter area than the standard cotton bags. I noticed when i fixed up the plastic collection bags and had the cotton sack on top there was a lot more pressure on both bags. With the cartridge filters the extractor can pass more air and thus increase the efficiency of the extractor.

the filters are much cheaper than the axi equivalents. £63 each from the ebay shop.

To switch it on, for the first week or so simply went upstairs and turned it on and off. I got a spark in and he got rid of the switch so now I just use the remote control sockets available from B&Q, £19.98 less my 20% for 3 of them they work very well!!

Regards,

Michael

Thans for your reply. What I didn't undrstand is that you mention the cartridges filter down to 5 microns. The bags also filter down to 5 microns. So that should make no difference in the fine sub-5 micron dust it lets out in the room. I would like to go down to 1 micron on mine, then add an air filtering unit.

LeChuck":1dfytg3x said:
Thans for your reply. What I didn't undrstand is that you mention the cartridges filter down to 5 microns. The bags also filter down to 5 microns. So that should make no difference in the fine sub-5 micron dust it lets out in the room. I would like to go down to 1 micron on mine, then add an air filtering unit.

The filters are 0.5 microns, much better than the bag type and they have a larger surface area, giving a better air flow.
I clean mine by blowing them with the air line from the outside, the dust just drops down inside, when the flow rate starts to drop off.

Back