Lucky find at the tip (sory, recycling centre...)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubber

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
20240811_113327.jpg

The 15" x 2" plane had a delightful patina of yellow emulsion paint, even on some of the sole, mouth is small and unworn, and the iron is stamped 'A. ELDICK'. A little work with a scraper and now works nicely.

The 044 has only one 1/8" iron, I naively thought I could source some more from the i'net but whoa! What a price....however both for £3.00p!

Stuart...they have a re-sale shop, but it doesn't stop them smashing hardwood table tops, crushing big pieces of ply etc.

Phil, on second examination you are right! I rubbed some chalk on the stamping and looked at it in daylight.

This buying or taking stuff away from the tip/recycling centre (or Dump as its known in my area), is the first I've ever heard of it.......At our local Dump, the guys that work there treat the job like they are guarding the crown jewels.
It's not as if anything that is taken to the Dump is even theirs to sell....😯

The next time I'm at my local one, I'm going to make a point of asking them if they have a 'resale shop".....🤔

Edit.
Who gets to keep the money from the proceeds of the "sale"....?.....The dump workers... ?......The local Council...?

They let you take something AWAY? Around here they won't, even if payment is offered.
Mad isn't it? We have two tips within 15 miles of us, one in Cornwall, one in Devon, both run by the same company, but only the Devon one will let you buy from the site - the Cornish one sends all its good stuff to a central processing centre, which is too far from us to make it worthwhile.

Edit.
Who gets to keep the money from the proceeds of the "sale"....?.....The dump workers... ?......The local Council...?

It goes to 'Making Devon Better!' (Their exclamation mark)

When I bought them, they were weighed on a digital scale on the counter. I asked the reason and I was told the computer adds it to the total weight of recycled materials.

I asked about electrical equipment, as I could not see any test (PAT) labelling and was told that it's all collected on a regular basis, shipped to a company in Exeter, then sent back, not even to the same facility. Apparently they have a contract, whether they test one item or one hundred, they get paid the same each month. Prior to this a local independent PAT tester visited weekly, worked on site for the day and was paid pro rata., labelling each item.

Stuart...they have a re-sale shop, but it doesn't stop them smashing hardwood table tops, crushing big pieces of ply etc.

Phil, on second examination you are right! I rubbed some chalk on the stamping and looked at it in daylight.
A re-sale shop sounds like a fairly good idea for 'strapped for cash councils'.

Mad isn't it? We have two tips within 15 miles of us, one in Cornwall, one in Devon, both run by the same company, but only the Devon one will let you buy from the site - the Cornish one sends all its good stuff to a central processing centre, which is too far from us to make it worthwhile.
Same here, one in Herefordshire - one in Gwent, 10 miles apart. The Monmouth one is nearer for folks living in Herefordshire near the 'Frontier', but they go by postcode & won't let you 'dump'. (translate as you wish!)
Our local one has a notice saying:- "NO PEDESTRIANS". Therefore, if one has no transport, ???? or live next door to the dump ???? Car out for 2-minute drive to pollute more than is saved. These councils/waste disposal companies do everything they can to promote 'fly tipping', IMHO. To get rid of plaster board requires the best part of a 40-mile round trip as no local disposal available! (unless that's altered):dunno:

Latest posts

Back