Leather Tool Roll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
I think someone here called me the BOOTFAIR KING...in some thread and I think that was a compliment...anyhow...a while back I bought a sewing machine...which one can find in plenty at all fairs...

The idea was to make covers for the guitar amps that I have that attract rather a lot of dust...

I acquired a rather nice roll of leather at another fair for the princely sum of 50p so decided to use a bit of it today and try out the machine...

The Christmas present to myself arrived from Workshop Heaven today (thanks Matthew!) and I couldn't really justify the additional cost of suede covers for them so I decided to break my sewing virginity on a tool roll for the same.

NOW...take pity on me because I have neither the feminine skills nor the patience to get around the technical aspects of these complicated and touchy machines...but I was rather chuffed with my first attempt and decided to share it with you.....

DSC_0002.JPG

Nice green colour isn't it!!! People with the proper glasses can see I really screwed up on the straight line bit the first time...then the needle broke and I had to start again....so there are many abortive rows of perforations in the otherwise perfect leather....

DSC_0003.JPG

After snapping the second needle I decided not to finish the lefthand side until I get familiar with this devil but I wanted to keep these lovely scrapers, the Clifton burnisher and my little dovetail saw in good nick so it will serve until that day!

DSC_0007.JPG

I'm not sure I am cut out for this sewing business....but it was certainly cheaper than buying commercial rolls and serves its purpose well!

DSC_0006.JPG

I think I will stick to making shavings as a primary source of enjoyment but at least these tools shouldn't rust...I stuck a few drops of Camelia Oil in the pockets to be sure!

OH! And with the offcut to this offcut I made a tiny cover for my drawknife....!!!

Cheers guys (and gals!!!)

Jim

Nicely done, but the ref to sewing machines and feminine skills could land you in some trouble...if there are any kitemakers on here (as I used to be a long time ago) they'd hang you out to dry (provided there was a decent wind) - Rob

Morning JIm,
nice bit of sewing for a beginner.May I point out that there are diferent needles for diferent jobs,what you need is a needle for stitching leather,it is much stronger than one meant for cloth,and also slow down for thick materials.Hope this helps, and better stitching next time.
Frank.

woodbloke":qdzqcvdt said:
Nicely done, but the ref to sewing machines and feminine skills could land you in some trouble...if there are any kitemakers on here (as I used to be a long time ago) they'd hang you out to dry (provided there was a decent wind) - Rob

Or those of us who once thought it a cool idea to make our own bow ties...

Looks good, Jim. Keep an eye on it though; I can never recall which one is which, but one variety of tanning process can do Bad Things to steel and it's intensely annoying when the thing designed to protect the tool actually causes damage. *glares at the L-N chisel roll in a pointed manner*

And for the record you could chain me to a sewing machine and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with it. Except possibly try turning it into a scrollsaw... :lol:

I had a similar experience with a tool roll, where the chisels where damaged by what I think was residual dampness (barely noticeable in the leather). I gave my chisels a generous coating of oil and then put them in the roll so the insides of the pockets became oily too. I then repeated the exercise with some wax too. No problems since.

Nice idea. As it happens, I've always wanted a sewing machine :oops: Missus isn't remotely interested in sewing, but we could do with having one for the odd curtain fitting or trouser turn up, etc. I'd quite like to make cushions too :oops:

I'm going to take a cold shower...

Nicely made. Unfortunately leather tool covers are the work of the devil in my opinion, as I have had damage to both expensive saws and chisels stored in leather for only short periods. I avoid them now.

Ed

Actually, it's not sexist (well not really) to refer to sewing machining as a feminine skill.
The one time I tried it I was stunned at how damn difficult it was to manoeuvre a piece of material whilst a pointy thing was zapping up and down.
It (to my mind) needs a considerable level of concentration, dexterity (a well known female trait), and the ability to multitask - move the fabric and control the speed of the needle at the same time - (pipper me another thing females do better).
So I think it's fair enough to refer to it as a feminine skill - it's simply a combination of skills which females (in general) tend to be genetically more able to achieve well than us males.

Like any skill - it's mainly a matter of practice - shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of any woodworker here. I do all the sew machining in my house, even though the wife is perfectly able also - we both learned at school in the 60's. Biggest problem these days is the utter lack of practical skills taught in our laughable 'education system'. Theory is all very well, but practice is paramount.

Hi guys, gals and kitemakers!

Thank you so much for the encouragement...I'm gonna stick with this...indeed I hijacked some 705H "leather" needles today from an old lady in the village...(is there a slippery slope for sewing...if there is I am on top of it!!).

Practicing with these with scraps made the job MUCH easier! Walk in the park now! Apparently these needles have a slicing tip...I guess it is just like woodworking...you have to have the right tools for the job!

I also found out that this sewing machine which cost me £3 is worth about £250!!! It is apparently the Rolls Royce of domestic sewing machines!

Anyway...no offence meant to the fairer sex...I truly think there are certain things they do MUCH better than men....to the kite makers...may your bowties flap in the breeze and your canes never snap in 2010...

As for the corrosion..I can see that happening hence the Camelia Oil..I will however keep an eye on them. My old man had a beautiful set of large dividers in a leather pouch...they are pristine so I guess it varies with the tanning...as some here said but thanks for the warning!

I won't be taking orders though....I think ANYONE could do better!

Cheers mates

Jim

Latest posts

Back