Small workshop generator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dek

Reaction score
I am looking for a small generator to operate a table saw and mitre saw, not at the same time and lighting. Will operate out of a garage. Any suggestions? I have a small workshop which is not not enough to use the items mentioned. Many thanks.

Saying a 'table saw and mitre saw' does not help us to recommend anything. You need to say which table saw and which mitre saw. Even better would be to quote their rated power.

A generator is not like the National Grid. The grid has a large reservoir of power behind it, so the instantaneous current draw when you start the saw's motor can be absorbed. A generator has very little reservoir of power, so in general you need something considerably over the nominal power of the device being powered.

Without further information, my stick-a-finger-in-the-wind wild guess is minimum 6kVA.

On the mitre saw, consider a 36v cordless one and 6 batteries. As an alternative to the table saw, consider a cordless tracksaw. I would guess you could charge 4 batteries simultaneously off a 1kVA suitcase generator.

Once you know how much power you need to accommodate startup surges you chose between a conventional generator that runs at full speed all the time which uses more fuel and is often noisier or one of the newer inverter generators which adjust to the load resulting in less noise and fuel consumption. Depending on how close your neighbours are noise is important. Some of the inverter types are duel fuel so can run on gas (petrol) or propane. I wouldn't begin to attempt a recommendation as to the brand to get since what you in the UK and I in North America have access to are often completely different.

https://blog.ecoflow.com/us/inverte...MI0q6o7cqQiAMVPjgIBR18GwSlEAAYAiAAEgJ0-_D_BwE

I'd compare rewiring the garage to mains power as it might be cheaper. Battery tools have already been mentioned.

Pete

Saying a 'table saw and mitre saw' does not help us to recommend anything. You need to say which table saw and which mitre saw. Even better would be to quote their rated power.

A generator is not like the National Grid. The grid has a large reservoir of power behind it, so the instantaneous current draw when you start the saw's motor can be absorbed. A generator has very little reservoir of power, so in general you need something considerably over the nominal power of the device being powered.

Without further information, my stick-a-finger-in-the-wind wild guess is minimum 6kVA.

On the mitre saw, consider a 36v cordless one and 6 batteries. As an alternative to the table saw, consider a cordless tracksaw. I would guess you could charge 4 batteries simultaneously off a 1kVA suitcase generator.
My table saw is the Evolution rage 5s rated 1600w and a Makita HS7611J/2 240 V 190 mm 1600 w.

Would you be doing anything like running an extractor at the same time ?
My workshop is too small to operate a tablesaw. Circular saw or mitre saw, so I have to carry out work requirering this tools out side but once again space is limited. The garage door will always be open.

Also mitre saw 2000w.

Also mitre saw 2000w.

A short cut to finding out would be to pick a kVA number and hire one for a day. Give it a thorough workout (i.e 4" wet oak with a blunt blade) and see if it splutters. That will tell you if you need to go bigger or perhaps risk smaller.

Some inverter generators (those that throttle down when the load is off) do not play well with tools with a soft start function.

I use a 3kw petrol gen set to power the tools that will not run off of my 2kw solar powered battery fed inverter.
even then some tools like the skill saw/ circler saw makes the gen set kick into high revs until the saw is up to speed or I hit a hard knot or wet wood
Yes its noisy and I cant use it early am or Sundays.

Do you have power in your garage ? If so then why not an extension cable (or two).

Last edited:
I have one of these and it's been good.

Please could you expand a little on how that statement will assist the OP.

If I were looking for a generator, someone saying "I have one of these" does not tell me much. At a bare minimum, you need to say what tools you use with it, what frequency and duration you use it, how long you have owned it.

Equally useful would be to read the OP's stated requirements and venture an opinion if the machine you have could fulfil them.

I brought it to use in an off grid shed I once had. I've subsequently used it since around and about. Drilling holes using a mite saw etc. not for trade us but occasional DIY use. Tbh it's infrequent use that often kills petrol tools.
Given that it's almost twice the power of the tool used it should cope. Any concerns they do have a another bigger one.
There customer service has been good too.

Just a heads up
Petrol does not keep/stay fresh like it used to. I had a whole heap of problems
I was advised to only have as much as I use in a day.....
Petrol apparently absorbs water from damp air (dont ask me how)

Just a heads up
Petrol does not keep/stay fresh like it used to. I had a whole heap of problems
I was advised to only have as much as I use in a day.....
Petrol apparently absorbs water from damp air (dont ask me how)
Did the person advising you of this also tell you to empty your car each day ?
;)

The key with 'utility' engines - two or four-stroke - is IMO to use E5. It's to do with the additives or lack of (not sure which way round). Not damp in the air unless over a very long period of time.

I have a rage 3 mitre saw which I think is 1500w. The weird thing happens that if I run it on my 16a ringmain, it will run fine for the first cut but as soon as I pull the trigger for the second cut it will trip the circuit breaker (not the rcd). I can reset and again do 1 cut and second one trips. I don't have any issues running other bigger power loads on that circuit, it only does it with that saw.

If I stick it on the 32a circuit I never have that problem.

The point of this is, I am assuming that there is some large current draw for some reason with that specific tool so you may find that even if the generator is rated above what you need some tools might still do similar to mine and have a spike. What that will do on a generator, I don't know.

I'm in a similar situation with no power to the garage. I mostly get by with running an extension cable from house. But I often think there must be a better solution. For me I've pondered one of those big capacity house power bank batteries. Pricey, and may not always be suitable for start up power surges, but they're quiet, and can be recharged back in the house or even portable solar panels. But it's only been a thought process and have no idea if it's a good idea! Anyone any experience? To me it just seems a better option than a noisy smelly generator?

I'm in a similar situation with no power to the garage. I mostly get by with running an extension cable from house. But I often think there must be a better solution. For me I've pondered one of those big capacity house power bank batteries. Pricey, and may not always be suitable for start up power surges, but they're quiet, and can be recharged back in the house or even portable solar panels. But it's only been a thought process and have no idea if it's a good idea! Anyone any experience? To me it just seems a better option than a noisy smelly generator?
It depends on your power usage, but I get by with a 4kw inverter, a 420w solar panel, and a 24v 100ah Lifepo4 battery. I was using two 130ah lead acid batteries, but learned my lesson the hard way.
However, I don't spend all day out there

Latest posts

Back