Lathe chucks, what do I have here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've been given an old Coronet Major lathe, various attachments and a pile of various turning tools. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as I get it working and set everything up but to start with. I'm cleaning the lathe up and will sort through the tools and post some photos and questions on those separately but there are a variety of chucks and faceplates and, as a novice turner (I've not turned anything yet) I'd appreciate some advice on what the pieces are and their use. I'll add what I know and see if it's correct.

IMG_5444.jpeg

Ok, from the top, morse taper turning point, needs cleaning up but this was what was in the lathe.
Another fitting that looks like you bolt a disk of something to it.
A couple of Jacobs chucks, need cleaning.
On the left are a couple of chucks I"ve not seen before, they have springs inside and I'm guessing you turn something the correct size and it's a push fit into them?
3 jaw chuck, not sure if this is for woodworking as it's the sort of thing I used in the machine shop at school several decades ago.

IMG_5446.jpeg

Faceplates. The small one with sandpaper has no holes in it, so I'm assuming that's just for sanding.
The other small one has holes so I'm guessing you screw through it into whatever you want to turn.
The larger disks have had sand paper stuck to them in the past but also have holes, I'm guessing they can be used for either sanding or fixing larger blanks to them for turning.

IMG_5445.jpeg

Not sure what the brush would be used for but the polishing mop needs some cleaning as it has old polishing compound on it that's pretty hard.

You seem to have the bits sussed. Top photo, 4 prong drive centre then a mandrel for a buffing or grinding wheel.
The 3 jaw chuck, presumably self centering, is really for metal but can be used to hold wood with tailstock support.
The brush is probably too hard for polishing so possibly to clean out stippled, carved or decorated work before applying a finish.
Manual & catalogue available at the bottom of
- https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/coronet-minorette-lathe-headstock-bearing.133079/#post-1675638

You can use a stiff wire brush to clean a polishing mop when it's spinning, and the old-guy polishers at my friends factory use a strip of wood with nails in it to open the weave up.

Having said that, for a home shop user it's probably better just to buy a new one :)

@Robbo3 Thanks very much for that, good to know I'm on the right track.

The two chucks with springs are a type I've not seen mentioned in books or in an online search for 'wood lathe chuck' but it seems as though they tighten down when you turn the outer part of the chuck. Looks like I probably need a new spring on at least one of them, so will try and source that.

I'd managed to find the lathe manuals in a search on here so have printed those to go through as I clean it all up.

I have a box of lathe tools, a couple of new looking Ashley Iles ones but most are pretty rusty. Quite a few Sorry ones so I'd like to clean them up and get them sharpened to see if they're useable, or at least to practice sharpening. I may get a set of HSS tools at some point but, for now, I'm sure these will be fine if I can clean them suitably. I have a 5l jug of evaporust arriving this afternoon and a stainless wire wheel on my old metalwork grinder and have picked up a new grinder to set up for sharpening the turning tools.

@Peri Thanks for the suggestion. I might try the wire brush technique or some 60 grit but I think you're probably right path just getting a new one is a lot less hassle.

First I have to change the belt and get the lathe cleaned up, should get that done in the next few days.

Latest posts

Back