Kitchen making and extraction hood height

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Difficult to get this right but like Inspector, I'm a six footer (Wife is much shorter) and often catch my head on the corner of the hood, which is b-painful.
I should have gone for the 45 degree type but too late now! Trouble is they are so much more expensive, not that I can see why.
I don't call this expensive: https://www.myappliances.co.uk/econolux-art28405-60cm-spirit-headroom-hood no idea how good it is, but must be better than nothing and banging your head on it whilst cooking.

I don't call this expensive: https://www.myappliances.co.uk/econolux-art28405-60cm-spirit-headroom-hood no idea how good it is, but must be better than nothing and banging your head on it whilst cooking.

That hood only moves a maximum of 290 cu mtrs/ hour and has a noise level of 58 Db.

An equivalent model from a better quality manufacturer would move nearly 3 times as much air/ fumes at a noise level of 68 Db.
Admittedly, you will pay more money for the more efficient hood, but surely the point of having one is that you want to remove the cooking smells as quickly & efficiently as possible.

I supply & install loads of cooker hoods with ducting and I refuse to supply or fit cheap inefficient ones, coz I know if I do, both the customer & I will regret it in the long term.

I've yet to see a domestic one that gets even close to commercial extraction, but I agree with Disti above you need it to be efficient. It's not just that low powered hoods are slower, the issue is that fat particles are carried by steam all around the room and eventually make the entire area greasy.

Of course it only moves 290 cu mtrs/hr at 58Db that's why it's under £90.00, the difference between 58Db and 68Db is horrendous in noise level, if you move more air it will be noisier, there are quieter ones out there that will move a lot more air, the point of my post was to point out that cheaper alternatives are available in answer to a previous post, i.e. being constructive not just criticising another poster.

Of course it only moves 290 cu mtrs/hr at 58Db that's why it's under £90.00, the difference between 58Db and 68Db is horrendous in noise level, if you move more air it will be noisier, there are quieter ones out there that will move a lot more air, the point of my post was to point out that cheaper alternatives are available in answer to a previous post, i.e. being constructive not just criticising another poster.
I wasnt criticising Mike, it was just an observation 👍
I know the better quality hood is noisier but at 3 times the efficiency, surely it is worth tolerating for a shorter period of time....?

The OP has already indicated they do not want to spend a lot of money, but if money is no object then timed boost and variable speed is available to control the time the noise is having to be tolerated, but completely off the point that XTiffy was asking.

Back