Jet 16-32 Drum-sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Jet 16-32 drum sander and part of the roller on the feed belt drive has sheared off, does anyone know if I can buy a new one, and if so where, or if anyone has an old broken sander that I could get the part from

Attachments

• 20240730_122812.jpg
    20240730_122812.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240730_122821.jpg
    20240730_122821.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Is this the machine?

https://www.mmtoolparts.com/629004k-16-32-parts

If that link has the correct parts diagram (it is also there as a pdf), what is the part number from the exploded diagram.

Can you extract the broken part from the gear and put the two parts side-by-side. Right now, the bit that is hidden behind the left hand greasy gear would need to be seen to assess if a repair can be attempted.

Thank you ChaiLatte, I did not find the part on the link you sent, I have tried a UK site and they have listed the part as discontinued, I will keep looking, as it is an expensive machine to replace and I do use it a lot

Attachments

• 20240730_144653.jpg
    20240730_144653.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240730_144434.jpg
    20240730_144434.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240730_144723.jpg
    20240730_144723.jpg
  • 20240730_144731.jpg
    20240730_144731.jpg
Maybe someone you know or on here could machinea new part, it doesn't look too complicated.

Thanks.

It appears there are two broken parts: 1) the shaft whose end has a flat on it and is gold in colour; 2) the ring-shaped piece (like a grey polo mint).

The shaft would be easy to reproduce either by sending the broken one to someone to copy or by making a drawing and sending the drawing.

What is the other part and to what does it join? From the initial phtographs in the opening post, is it a boss that has broken off the gear?

Thank you niemeyjt
I had a look and on page 26 is the part I need but it's not listed seperatly, it looks like I would have to order the whole motor, part 27, I will try and get an email address for Jet and contact them

Thanks.

It appears there are two broken parts: 1) the shaft whose end has a flat on it and is gold in colour; 2) the ring-shaped piece (like a grey polo mint).

The shaft would be easy to reproduce either by sending the broken one to someone to copy or by making a drawing and sending the drawing.

What is the other part and to what does it join? From the initial phtographs in the opening post, is it a boss that has broken off the gear?
Yes you are spot on ChaiLatte
I took the gear out and cleaned it I can see clearly what has sheared off, repairing this is way beyond what I can do, it would not be an epoxy job, I think it will have to be a new motor and gearbox, and that will not be cheap coming from the USA, I will try and get in touch with Jet

Attachments

• 20240730_174219 - Copy.jpg
    20240730_174219 - Copy.jpg
  • 20240730_174219.jpg
    20240730_174219.jpg
  • 20240730_174229.jpg
    20240730_174229.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240730_174424.jpg
    20240730_174424.jpg
  • 20240730_174443.jpg
    20240730_174443.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I took the gear out and cleaned it I can see clearly what has sheared off

How much space is there around the boss of the gear when it is installed?

gear.jpg

If there is enough, you could repair as the blue bit in the above image. Nothing there would need to be very precise. Clean everything and glue it all together with JB weld. Once it has set, drill some 3mm holes (at 120 degree intervals) vertically through both parts. Drill 2 holes horizontally at 90 degrees to the keyways. JB Weld some 3mm diameter steel pins into the five holes. If you were keen, maybe a coupe of 2mm diameter pins tying the two original parts of the gear together.

The shaft is easy enough for a machinist to reproduce. It looks like a fatigue failure at the end of the pocket for the two keys in the shaft. The new version might do better with woodruffe keys, which taper out to nothing at the ends so have less stress concentration.

Part 27 is a LABEL for the motor. Motor is part 1. It is listed here (will be 110v) for $365: https://jettools.com/motor-jwds1632-201

If the gear repair described above was possible, that, along with a new shaft, would be less than that. Even if someone charged you £200 for the work, you still spend less. In your original photos, the OD of the gear bottom right will determine how large a collar you could put around the boss on the gear. The gear looks to be a powder metallurgy item so soldering or brazing would not be possible, hence the suggestion of adhesive backed up with mechanical restraint.

View attachment 185282

If there is enough, you could repair as the blue bit in the above image. Nothing there would need to be very precise. Clean everything and glue it all together with JB weld. Once it has set, drill some 3mm holes (at 120 degree intervals) vertically through both parts. Drill 2 holes horizontally at 90 degrees to the keyways. JB Weld some 3mm diameter steel pins into the five holes. If you were keen, maybe a coupe of 2mm diameter pins tying the two original parts of the gear together.

The shaft is easy enough for a machinist to reproduce. It looks like a fatigue failure at the end of the pocket for the two keys in the shaft. The new version might do better with woodruffe keys, which taper out to nothing at the ends so have less stress concentration.

Part 27 is a LABEL for the motor. Motor is part 1. It is listed here (will be 110v) for $365: https://jettools.com/motor-jwds1632-201

If the gear repair described above was possible, that, along with a new shaft, would be less than that. Even if someone charged you £200 for the work, you still spend less. In your original photos, the OD of the gear bottom right will determine how large a collar you could put around the boss on the gear. The gear looks to be a powder metallurgy item so soldering or brazing would not be possible, hence the suggestion of adhesive backed up with mechanical restraint.
View attachment 185307

View attachment 185282

Thanks again ChaiLatte, as you can see from the photo there is no room which is a pity as I would have had a go at that

Attachments

• 20240731_090646.jpg
    20240731_090646.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
...as you can see from the photo there is no room...

That just makes it a little more fiddly. You would have to use some smaller diameter pins (maybe 1.5 - 2.0mm dia.) through the gear boss itself. I thought overnight that roll pins (selock pins) would be better than plain pins. Roll pins are available in both 1.5mm and 2mm diameter. Fill the middle with JB Weld once installed using a syringe.

Thank you ChaiLatte
I have ordered the materials, I will have a go as there is nothing to loose, it will take a few days for delivery, I will let you know how it goes either way, I could not do this without your help, one final question how do I clean the grease off

...one final question how do I clean the grease off

I would do a two stage clean. Use a solvent to remove the worst of it. That could be white spirit, methylated spirits, acetone, petrol.

Then do a detergent clean. Add washing powder or liquid or a dishwasher tablet to boiling water and wash well in that.

Dry the parts with a hot air gun or hair dryer. The JB Weld will become a bit runnier if you warm it up or apply it to a warm part.

From the exploded diagram it looks like the feed is one unit, and no separate parts of it listed, so its unlikely unless you contact Jet direct, you'll find that specific part for sale

But given what it is I would look more to either a repair, or find someone with a lathe to make it.
If a repair, as in welding it on, the two parts would need to marry up with extreme accuracy, and even then might need dressed on a lathe. So maybe the latter option of a newly made one would be the best way to go before you start wasting funds

From the exploded diagram it looks like the feed is one unit, and no separate parts of it listed, so its unlikely unless you contact Jet direct, you'll find that specific part for sale

But given what it is I would look more to either a repair, or find someone with a lathe to make it.
If a repair, as in welding it on, the two parts would need to marry up with extreme accuracy, and even then might need dressed on a lathe. So maybe the latter option of a newly made one would be the best way to go before you start wasting funds
Thanks Triton

I am trying to drill the metal with a 2mm HSS bit but it is not working, I tried several decent bits Bosch and Draper HSS but nothing is working on this metal, they drill through aluminium okay

Back