Is there a definitive pillar drill - new or used - that is better than the Bosch PBD40 for the same money?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Rohm Supra chuck did you get.l have a Bosch PD40 and was thinking of replacing the chuck.Did you have much difficulty getting the original chuck off.
I used the Röhm Supra 871050 - and, yes, the old chuck wasn't the easiest thing to remove, I fitted a large hex key in the chuck (small end of the 'L' in the chuck) and then a steel tube over the other end for leverage. A couple of taps on the pipe with a hammer plus a lot of sweat and it eventually started to undo.

Last edited:
I used the Röhm Supra 871050 - and, yes, the old chuck wasn't the easiest thing to remove, I fitted a large hex key in the chuck (small end of the 'L' in the chuck) and then a steel tube over the other end for leverage. A couple of taps on the pipe with a hammer plus a lot of sweat and it eventually started to undo.

Okay thanks for the info will have to give it a try.cheers

JPG, if you decide to buy the Bosch and can wait a few weeks, then buy one in the Amazon Black Friday sale. IIRC,I saved 60-70 pounds last year when I bought one. Apparently, it gets reduced every Black Friday.
I agree, I bought one last year and think it was just under £200. I've been very happy with it.

I like my PBD40 - it feels to me like a solidly made and well thought through machine.

I also did use it for a week. And even though I have a bigger drill press now I do consider buying one since it has nice features. Features like digital depth indicator, that it can be rotated 180 degree to drill on bigger pieces. Also it can be used ti drill in steps, clamp head high, start drilling, stop, lower the head and clamp it there, drill further down. Like a very long stroke.

Other options that I have is Proxxon/Dremel with stand - quite good for small things and can be used by children. Woodpecker drill stand with a chuck and its chinese clone - works also great.

What I did not like of PBD40 is noisy motor. It has universal motor like in regular corded hand drill.

The ultimate drill press that I drool about is Teknatool Nova Viking DVR. That basically with similar features but bigger and with induction motor.

Latest posts

Back