import duty.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clive griffiths

Established Member
Reaction score
Has any one purchased from Fine Tools in Germany, I would just like to know if there are additional charges on the U K side.
Clive.

I have bought from Fine Tools and wrote about it here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/saw-and-plane-from-germany.141725/

However, things have changes a little since then. The process of selling to UK customers is more difficult for them now, which has had a number of consequences. I'd recommend you read this on their site:

https://www.fine-tools.com/versand.html

The relevant parts are:
  • "The minimum order amount for orders from the UK is EUR 179,00 net. The VAT and any import duties are subject to pay by the receiver at the import. You will receive a note from the carrier and the additional costs have to be paid directly to the carrier."
  • Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, United KingdomUPS54.00
So there will be some import duty but it's not a lot. The main problem is that you have to put in a big order and the shipping costs have gone up a lot.

For me, that's made buying from them difficult to justify unless you want to spend a significant amount, which is a real shame as they sell really interesting tools.

No but the maths should be fairly straighforward to work out

Cost of goods (big minimum order)
Plus shipping charges (substantial)
Get back the German VAT but we pay UK VAT on import (so not a great difference)
If there is an actual import duty, these are usually quite small 2-3% depending on the goods
Whoever handles the UK end of the delivery normally handles the customs clearance for you and their handling charge is quite high, Royal Mail used to charge £13 to £15 years ago when I did buy from abroad years ago, no idea now, but this is one of the biggest add ons.
The VAT, import duty and handling charge are all paid by you to the UK parcel handling outfit whoever that may be before they deliver your goods. So you pay twice and the second bill is going to be maybe 35 to 40% of what you pay to Fine Tools.

Something like that ...

Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, FI-Aland Islands, Greenland, Ireland, San Marino, Spain, Spain Canary Islands, Sweden, United KingdomDHL (= German postal service)
may be delivered to you by the national post organisation of your country, a parcel service or DHL itself

Attachments

• IMG_5440.JPG
    IMG_5440.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back