Importing and customs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We would be happy to try and help in the future, are are also now offering to get other Woodpecker products in that we don't currently carry in stock.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/woodpeckers/?sort=bestselling

Cheers

Peter
Thanks Peter , I took a chance due to their sale and the cheaper shipping costs. I’ve had products from woodpeckers before and not had to pay any import taxes or duty . But other times you get hammered. At least it arrived in top condition..

The UJK version is way better than many out there but I think the Woodpeckers version is going to be very well engineered, the other contender is the Rockler version with a 1/2 inch chuck .
What swung it for me in the end was the extension rods and the flip stops so making repeat holes with a good degree of precision. But the ujk is still a good guide but I wish they did the extension rods etc . Saying that woodpeckers don’t produce the small vice that you get ujk so I guess I have the best of both worlds..

So a few weeks ago I ordered a drill guide from w/peckers ( USA ) .it was on sale so I put it in my cart and followed the process to calculate the shipping. I was expecting £80 + but it was just over 1/2 that. So knowing I could get stung at customs I took a chance and ordered it. In the past I’ve had a message from the shipper that the import duty is x amount and this has to be paid or the package will be returned to the seller. Nothing this time -it was delivered a week or 2 back with no demand for import cost . However yesterday I opened a letter from fed x asking for £74.00 approx
Very confusing so the next time I buy anything from woodpeckers it will be from a uk supplier 😤😤😩😩 on a positive the auto line drill guide is awesome and much better than my ujk version..
Been down that road, nye on 20 years ago, in my railroading days, but DHL were the rip-off merchants then. Worse still, they didn't use BoE exchange rates, they used $1 = £1. I then spent the next 30+ minutes on the phone to get it corrected, as at the time $1 = £0.60. The second tome it happened, the guy at DHL cancelled the invoice, after that I insisted the suppliers use USPS for future sales, that way the orders ere delivered by RM or PF @ £4 & £8 charge + customs. DHL's charge was £16.

I buy a lot from a Luthier suppliers in the US, Stewmac. I pay a subscription service of £48 a year which gets me free postage the caveat being it can take between 1 to 4 weeks to arrive, however it's usually around 10 days via FedEx.
Sometimes I pay VAT, duty of 3% and a FedEx handling charge between £8-£12. FedEx will always deliver and invoice later for the fees, unlike UPS.
Don't know why but the last 10 or so parcels have arrived with no charges, perhaps HMRC are a bit overwhelmed since Brexit?

Back