Howdens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
So we now have a Howdens trade account with access to online pricing, however for the life of me I can’t find cabinet prices (everything else but!). It just keeps saying book a design appointment- I don’t want a design appointment, just want cabinet prices.

What is the secret? Howdens pricing is mysterious at the best of times but this is rediculous :(

They want to do a full design so they can get as much out of you as possible. If you could order online to the price they are asking for that is all you will spend . If they do a site visit it tells them what size house you have , they can then tailor their prices to suit . A bit like my x employers when they went to quote for a new boiler - large house, couple of bmw,s on the drive + a few other top of the range motors and they instantly quote the highest prices they could, then add on as many extras as they could ..just my opinion but why else would they not list their prices..

We recently had the kitchen replaced and our builder suggested Howdens. As the kitchen was only part of the house refurbishment, I somewhat reluctantly decided to go with them.

I find their lack of pricing transparency thoroughly frustrating. I would guess I ended up paying ~£2k more for their units than similar quality competitors.

In fairness, they had the advantage of a local branch and reliable delivery. Would I use them again - absolutely not!

Funnily enough Howdens rang me today to say my account was lapsing through lack of use and did I need anything, I let it lapse.
For kitchens with clear pricing and as good or nicer than Howdens try DIY kitchens, I rate them over Howdens, Wren and even quite expensive "posh " brands.
They were over 2k cheaper than Howdens on the last one I did and that was after howdens reduced it, only a small kitchen too.
The only thing I didn`t like was the fact they still use the old blum hinges with separate clip on damper rather than the integrated ones, did like the colour matched boxes and really good adjustable feet.

So we now have a Howdens trade account with access to online pricing, however for the life of me I can’t find cabinet prices (everything else but!). It just keeps saying book a design appointment- I don’t want a design appointment, just want cabinet prices.

What is the secret? Howdens pricing is mysterious at the best of times but this is rediculous :(

Just phone the local depot or pop in, I always find them really good to deal with.

They are quite variable and rarely cheap. Yesterday I visited a local appliance shop and swapped a lamona 70/30 f/f oven and hob for a bosch oven and hob and a tecnix f/f and saved £159. All the howdens stuff was on rooster offers as well! Also the guys in the appliance shop took my cards and the next day I was refitting a new integrated dishwasher for them.
I just hate dealing with howdens but there 200 yards away. There kitchen service is quite good though they don't fit. They seem to find new ways to rip you off every visit. Last week it was £25 delivery! It all leaves a bad taste in the mouth. As far as trade only that's just a ruse to fool the gullible into thinking they are getting it cheap. If you were spending £300000+ a year on kitchens you would get it at trade price. I'm desperately trying to wean myself away from them. My branch there's half a dozen people doing nothing every visit. It's far from lean.

Always been a mystery to me how they price as well, never seen them advertise their prices, only ever got one in branch, but they are in principal a trade only supplier, In my region we've probably got 8 "shop's" we can access, but everyone one of them gives a different rate of discount, dependent on the spend we have with them individually.

They really don't cater for one off's, they want the trade accounts that regularly keep coming back, we, the trade, not the end customer, are then in a better position to get a deal and consequently get a greater profit margin, on the basis were on-selling with the profit margin they've given us by discounting from their retail price, which when you see them are extortionate, (last kitchen we got was retail @ £25K got it for less than £10K) if that makes sense, bottom line the trade get the benefit, the customer doesn't, unless you give it over.

PS I hate them with a passion, but have little choice but to use them by the fact they are well placed for easy collection and generally hold stock, a lot of kitchen alterations I do already have a Howdens one fitted, I'm doing a dishwasher install next week on a Howdens kitchen, need to take out a 1000 unit and replace with a 400 to get the DW in the 600 gap left, makes it easy to nip in and get what I need.

I guess they trade on reputation and class image.

But like the big widow installers compared with local firms they are alot more expensive than local or DIY shed prices.

If prices aren't published then the end customer can't easily see what the installer is paying, so the installer controls the margin. Total price X, labour Y, units Z, if unit prices aren't advertised then Z can be what you want it to be.

If you are in the trade Howdens is a necessary evil, there is always one close by and they generally have stuff in stock but nobody likes the pricing thing.

It is better now as account holders can access prices for most things online which didn't used to be the case but unfortunately you still can't see kitchen cabinet prices.

In Howdens defence (can't believe I'm saying that!) many places give discounts to the trade or are trade only so the end customer doesn't always know if or by how much the tradesman is marking stuff up unless he actually tells them what he paid.

I did some work in a Bathroom; customer wanted a floor to ceiling cabinet for linen, I'd thought about making one but couldn't meet the customers timescales. We installed a Howdens cabinet but was I disappointed with the build quality, really poor (IMHO), the material finish was great but Top and bottom not flush fitting with the sides, Shelves didn't line up with the 2-piece doors. All in All I wish I asked the customer to wait for a while until I could make one.

Rang them this morning - they said that their cabinet pricing structure was too complex to put online.

Take a look at Kitchen Kit. Ive bought a few units from them and generally impressed but not costed out a whole kitchen from them.

Personally I like Howdens.They have the stock so when I do a job I know I can get the gear and finish the job.

Last edited:
I do like the pre-built carcasses from Howdens. I think they are of excellent quality. Get them to do a plan for you and then you can compare but I would be surprised if you found similar quality elsewhere for their prices unless you are happy to go flat pack.

Our ground floor was flooded in Storm Babet and the insurance repairers said they would only use Howdens to replace our previous DIY Kitchens units which I fitted.
Personally I don’t think Howdens stuff is a patch on it. The fitter was sloppy which didn’t help at all but, for example, misaligned cabinet doors couldn’t have happened with Diy units which come with doors already fitted. The whole lot feels more flimsy and the opaque pricing is appalling for the customer. We asked for a few extras and had no way of knowing the cost in order to compare with others.
The design staff were good but branches only seem to stock a few bits rather than full layouts which is also irritating.
Hopefully I won’t need another kitchen but if I do I know where it will come from.

Anyone whose even dabbled with kitchens knows how difficult it can be to get replacements of things. Howdens realised this and excel at stock management. For anyone trying to make money that trumps quality or price every Time. Diy kitchens are not that easy to order from. Try it.

Anyone whose even dabbled with kitchens knows how difficult it can be to get replacements of things. Howdens realised this and excel at stock management. For anyone trying to make money that trumps quality or price every Time. Diy kitchens are not that easy to order from. Try it.
I designed and ordered from DIY kitchens. Pretty simple process, all clear with timeliness and products. They double check your design and offer advice, (ultimately the onus is on yourself for the order).
I also enquired about additional items after I'd made the order, their customer service explained how to find their product codes for the items and also how to order what I needed.
Have you had issues with them?

Back