How many of these are true?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
samharber":ld9h0t2f said:
I'm intrigued as to why you think the firepole one is true.

If the poles in your old station were just allowed to wear out and not be replaced, that doesn't really imply to me that some beaurocrat one day said that they weren't allowed. Also, just because a new station doesn't have them, doesn't mean that they're not allowed, just that they may not be seen as the most appropriate method.

Trust me, the fire service is subject to bonkers hs just as anyone else is. Can you imagine office works getting down to reception by going through a door with a free fall drop down a few stories. Its sad cause what will happen when kids come to see the pole!

samharber":2cwnt9s8 said:
I'm intrigued as to why you think the firepole one is true.

If the poles in your old station were just allowed to wear out and not be replaced, that doesn't really imply to me that some beaurocrat one day said that they weren't allowed. Also, just because a new station doesn't have them, doesn't mean that they're not allowed, just that they may not be seen as the most appropriate method.

Trust me, the fire service is subject to bonkers hs just as anyone else is. Can you imagine office works getting down to reception by going through a door with a free fall drop down a few stories. Its sad cause what will happen when kids come to see the pole!

At the risk of being boring (I've mentioned this before :roll: ) I'm a chartered member of the Institute of Occupational safety & Health (like wot all proper H&S bods belong!) and we get totaly p!$$ed off with these daft stories. We sponsored the World conker championships for 3 years to try to get over we are not a load of sad jobsworthies.

In case you are interested I sent Lord Young (hes looking at daft H&S regulations for Dave) a list of regulations i want to see scrapped:

Management of Health & Safety in Schools (Conkers) Regulations 1996
Fairground Safety Regulations 2001 (Candyfloss stick amendment) 2002
Control of Toothpicks Hazardous to Health Regulations 2000
Guidance for Licensing Authorities for Remembrance Parades (excuse not to bother) Regulations 1998
Village Fetes Regulations 1988
Work at Height (OMG!, Is that a ladder you are planning to use) Regulations 2005
Pressure Systems Safety (safe release of hot air emitted by vote catching MPs & lazy Journalists) Approved Code of Practice 2009
Christmas Decorations in Public Places Regulations (Bah! Humbug! Amendment) 2004
Safety Signs (control of nuts in nut products) Regulations 1993
Guidance on designating peanuts as nuts (pedant amendment) 1996
Memorandum of Guidance of the Hanging Baskets Regulations 1989
Management of Health & Safety on Paths In Wintertime (clearing & gritting) Regulation 1997

RogerS":obo5c6kb said:
mark270981":obo5c6kb said:
blame the insurance companies

No - blame the ambulance chasers and the Labour Government.

nothing to do with the labour govt - the abulance chasing litigation started in the thatcher/major era

lurker":2qojqprr said:
Work at Height (OMG!, Is that a ladder you are planning to use) Regulations 2005

where i used to work I wasnt allowed to use a ladder to change a light bulb as I handt been trained in its use :shock:

It was fine to stand on my desk tho as apparently that had been considered in risk assement ](*,)

at least it was till my jobsworth elf and safty rep decided i couldnt change any light bulbs anyway because i'm not a qualified electrician #-o

big soft moose":256xdn7t said:
RogerS":256xdn7t said:
mark270981":256xdn7t said:
blame the insurance companies

No - blame the ambulance chasers and the Labour Government.

nothing to do with the labour govt - the abulance chasing litigation started in the thatcher/major era

No that is not true. Labour brought in the legislation to allow this.

The Conditional Fee Agreements Regulations 2000

They compounded this by allowing solicitors to advertise in the same year.

Thus confirming Labours' inept grasp on the Laws of Consequences

RogerS":1c9wam7g said:

I think governments for centuries have been bitten by the law of unintended consequences. The most obvious one is setting a tax on "something" to generate revenue, and finding that people find "a way" of not doing/using the "something" and your revenue is rather less than you expected. Further, the change in behaviour you just triggered may have social as well as financial implications.

BugBear

bugbear":z346oa2p said:
RogerS":z346oa2p said:

I think governments for centuries have been bitten by the law of unintended consequences. The most obvious one is setting a tax on "something" to generate revenue, and finding that people find "a way" of not doing/using the "something" and your revenue is rather less than you expected. Further, the change in behaviour you just triggered may have social as well as financial implications.

BugBear

True but that is a natural interaction between Government and those who they govern. It takes real panache (incompetence) for a Govt to do it all by itself!

The insurance companies set policy on building sites.

they issue much lower premiums if ladders and the likes of aren't used. so the building company take this on board and ban ladders etc etc to get a cheaper premium.

Back