How many of these are true?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
If you do know the answer then please keep quite! I'm interested in the general consensus.

1) All office equipment must be tested by a qualified electrician every year

2) Workers are banned from putting up Christmas decorations in the office

3) Kids must wear goggles to play conkers

4) Egg boxes are banned in craft lessons as they might cause salmonella

5) Health and safety laws banned poles in fire stations

6) All park benches must be replaced because they are 3 inches too low

I have an idea but I'll wait.

In this country, number one is certainly false although medical equipment must be test annually by a qualified person (like me). Chassis to earth (ground) resistance must be less than 0.5 Ohms.

I'd say the opposite Blister - none of them! Media overhyping a story, rather than "H&S".

Cheers

Karl

6) is patently coblers because park benches arent a standard height - as it depends on the design and the person installing them, and juding bvy our office last year 2) is rubbish also

I think its going to be the case that all have a grain of truth but are massively over exagerated by the media - e.g some office workers somewhere may have been told not to put up chrimble decs, children playing organised conker championships have to wear goggles to protect the organisers from liability etc - but the media has then massively over generalised from specific examples

its like a journalist sees one red bus and imediately concludes that not only are all buses red but that this must be because the govt wont let anyone paint them other colours

one is kinda true, at least if the office equipment is owned by a council or a large company - both my current employer and my last one have pat tests done on all the computers (and other electrical gubbins) every year

that said i think its an insurance company requirement rather than an actual law.

id say 1 is true to an extent, id have to ask my father if it there is any kind of law or reg.

the rest are utter dribble, made up but so called "news" outlets who for some bizzare reson, get a kick out of getting people, who'll know nothing about the subject, angry.

in short, i like the saying "never trust a man who only owns one book" i think the same applies to news papers.

With regards 1

The Electricity at Work Regulations place a legal responsibility on employers, employees and self-employed persons to comply with the provisions of the regulations and take reasonably practicable steps to ensure that no danger results from the use of such equipment.

PAT testing is a convenient and known standard way of ensuring compliance. There is no law that says it must be done.

James

I know that the Firemans pole one is true. :(

My old station had the longest pole drop in Europe, it was brilliant. But as the poles become worn out they aren't repairing them allowing a natural death to them.

The new station I'm near, Highfields is an £8m affair and amazing place but on my first visit I was disappointed to see a set of ordinary stairs down the the appliance bay.

I'd say all, I know PAT testing goes on every year in schools.

i really think these are all correct.... the fire pole is definitely true.

whats the verdict

I'm intrigued as to why you think the firepole one is true.

If the poles in your old station were just allowed to wear out and not be replaced, that doesn't really imply to me that some beaurocrat one day said that they weren't allowed. Also, just because a new station doesn't have them, doesn't mean that they're not allowed, just that they may not be seen as the most appropriate method.

Can we do Euro myths next?

Cucumbers and banana stories... !

Edit; on the H&S topic, here's something you might find surprising, from the web site of Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), who are "obviously" a bunch of kill joy H&S nutters.

Open Spaces and Public Parks...

RoSPA strongly believes that these areas should be as safe as necessary – not as safe as possible.

BugBear

link: http://www.rospa.com/leisuresafety/play ... parks.aspx

Back