How long to acclimatise tulip wood window board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mg123

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just collected some tulip wood PAR to use as window boards.
I was going to fit them, however I think I should be leaving them in the room to acclimatise prior to installation.
However, how long does this take?
The timber was bought from a merchant, I'm unsure of current moisture levels as I don't have a meter but I would say they are pretty dry as the merchant is a good one.
Dimensions are:
1850 x 310
1840 x 310
710 x 310
1900 x 165
They are all 20mm thick

Much appreciate your thoughts :)

Cut a piece off the wood if you can about 6” back from an end. Weigh it, put it in the oven or microwave and keep checking the weight until it stops decreasing in weight, you can now easily work out the moisture content and make a call on how long to leave it / when it’s ready to fit.

Cut a piece off the wood if you can about 6” back from an end. Weigh it, put it in the oven or microwave and keep checking the weight until it stops decreasing in weight, you can now easily work out the moisture content and make a call on how long to leave it / when it’s ready to fit.
Going to the sort of length of undertaking the oven drying test for moisture content is more than likely unnecessary for these bits of wood given that they will have been kilned to ~7% MC in North America and unlikely to have regained moisture to a point higher than about 12 - 13% MC since kilning.

But if anyone is interested in undertaking such a test this link provides a fuller description of the methodology. Slainte.

More likely scenario is the board cupping from moisture from the plaster and or brickwork. If hey are bone dry then I would leave the boards in the rooms for a couple of weeks. A lot also depends on how far from quartersawn the boards are.
I have seen the underside of cills painted before now to mitigate the moisture problem.
Ian

I don't think it's possible, I have the material needed so can't start cutting pieces out

More likely scenario is the board cupping from moisture from the plaster and or brickwork. If hey are bone dry then I would leave the boards in the rooms for a couple of weeks. A lot also depends on how far from quartersawn the boards are.
I have seen the underside of cills painted before now to mitigate the moisture problem.
Ian
I'll be painting or oiling the whole board anyway prior to installation. They do appear to be very dry. Here's a couple of images of the boards.

Attachments

• 20240712_092705.jpg
    20240712_092705.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240712_092804.jpg
    20240712_092804.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back