How is your weather and have you experienced any summer yet ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well looking out the window it is just throwing it down here in Cumbria and as yet we have had the odd few days where we got a glimpse of what summer should be. Local campsites are flooded and many rivers at bursting point and this is in August. I need to finish a big sortout to be able to get back into my workshop which involves moving stuff between three sheds and in the process pulling a lot of stuff out which with the rain and high winds is just impossible. We always hear how people in the south are getting sunburn and are experiencing high temperatures but is that really the case. Yes when I lived down south the weather used to be far to hot for me but since then our weather patterns do seem to be changing and so how is everyone else finding the weather, North, South, East and West ?

Cornwall in general has been poor. One day the forecast temperature was 34c for S.E. and 19c here.
66f to 93f. The lanes where I walk the dog are still muddy. I've had the same problem witha workshop - I'm trying to get everything sorted out and most days I can't leave anything outside.

Some hot and sunny, some hot and wet, with some wind thrown in for good measure. Turned out to be a much better summer than I expected for bees and veg - so far...

Yes, rain, rain, and more rain has been the order of the day. The geese have been flying overhead and honking loudly over the past three weeks. And, for us , this always signals the end of summer - what summer? We've not had the heat wave they kept promising us, though there has been the occasional dry, hot day.

The veg has suffered this year through lack of heat and low. light levels. The garlic rotted in the ground, no gluts of courgettes, the tomatoes were late and undersized, and the chilli]s are yet to turn red.

On the plus side, however the peas have been amazing, both the mangetout and the sweet peas. :giggle:

A few hot days here in the Midlands - (anything over 25 degrees is too hot for me) but mainly erratic apart from a 10 day sunny spell- mostly felt like dry one day / wet the next / windy the next etc.
On the plus side, (and I have no idea what I should be expecting as I'm no gardener), since being made redundant and taking some time off I've been lovingly tending my tomatoes & I'm well pleased. I counted 67 total last night including the little dinky ones still growing - I'm going to feed the family a massive salad at some point yay ;)
tomatoes end Aug 24.jpg

Been a hot, dry and relatively smokey summer in Saskatchewan, quite normal I suspect. Several weeks of ranging between 25 and 35, got up to 38/39 a couple days in July.

We had a very wet June which was nice.

The last few weeks it’s been too hot and dry here in Suffolk- at least according to the missus who laments the lack of rain for her allotment.
Mind you we are only just recovered from Storm Babet which flooded our house and many others last October and turned the fields into impassable quagmires for farmers.

On the Sunset Strip* above NuuKassel (as pronounced) we have had reasonable periods of sunshine. Sustained ones in early June.
The real talking point has been the wind. This year, it has been an almost permanent feature, making sunburn on clement days a distinct danger, as you feel cool, but are bathed in high U.V..
Methinks the unusual Jetstream movements this summer are to blame.
Had our first geese formations late last night. Lovely sound and sight.
Butterflies extremely late, only really noticeable in the last two weeks. Chestnut and other deciduous are already casting foliage!

*Those born in the middle fifties and earlier remember this allusion? B/W T.V.? It is also the nickname alloted to the hinterland above the commuter towns of Blyth, Crammlington etc - the place is filled with retirees!

I’d say we have had a decent mix of rain, sun , high winds and a few super hot days here and there. Still the greenhouse has and still is producing more tomatoes and cucumbers than a I can give away..🤗🤗

LOL- dunno yet, hasn't happened, and my crystal ball is on the blink...

(being south of the equator, we are just coming out of winter...)

Best weather in May - early June.
Has been cold wet & windy ever since. Some summer gales at 50mph....
This has meant using the wood burning stove in August and an increasing list of outside jobs to complete before winter.
Just managed to get sheep sheared, but no chance of hay.
I pity the poor local builders...& the visitors who have paid to come here on holiday.

Here in North Essex, I would say the weather has been good overall this summer, in my humble opinion.

I dont know if this is anything to judge it by, but I have a grape vine in my back garden and this year is the first time in 6 years that it has produced anywhere near enough bunches of grapes to make a few bottles of white wine, come picking & brewing time.
It was planted about 12 years ago and this year will be only the 4th time there have been enough grapes to justify the wine making process.....

What that tells me about how much sunshine and/or rain we have had, I cant say.😁

sun that horrible yellow thing in the sky that gives you heatstrock and sunburn hade to much off it i live in wales and im ginger so the sun is my enemy wish for nice pleasant weather like rain or even snow or even temps below 0c

I thought Bedfordshire had been too hot over the last couple of weeks. Now in Naples and like an oven by comparison. The locals say hottest for some years and about 7° above average.
Supposed to be 34, according to the weather apps. Feels much hotter. Most of the chemists here have illuminated signs showing the temperature, hottest we have seen on one of them was 45 ! Guessing that is a bit OTT. Most are saying 35/36, at midday, and only drops a few degrees at night.

I've been liking the weather here in the middle of the Midlands this year. Not too hot, not too wet, not too windy, not too cool. Bit of everything, nice range of contrasts. Garden is a lot happier than last year for getting some rain. Makes a pleasant change after a couple of decades of nearly every year has the most extreme /something/ since [some long time interval]. More like the summers of my West Yorkshire childhood in the '70s before everything went to coc.k. I prefer the cooler weather. Funnily enough though in the winter I turn into a radiator-hugger...

Had a brief glimpse of the hot object this morning. About ten minutes worth.

Latest posts

Back